Educators seeking certification in Texas must apply for a review of credentials to begin the process.Review of Credential Instructions
Important Note for Educators with Student Services or Administration Certification: If you hold a stand-alone certificate in student services or administration, but do not hold a classroom teaching certificate, you will need to submit documentation of two years of acceptable school experience in the area of you certificate. Acceptable documentation should be sent in the form of an official school service record.One-Year Certificate IssuanceEducators who have completed the review of credentials and are found to be eligible may be issued a one-year certificate. During the one year period of this nonrenewable certificate, the educator must complete all appropriate tests.Standard Certificate IssuanceOnce all Texas test requirements are completed, educators may apply online for a 5-year Standard Certificate to become a certified teacher in Texas.How to apply
- Create a TEA Online Account
- Complete application and pay $164 non-refundable fee
- Submit official transcripts from all universities and colleges
- Submit copies of all certificates, front and back
OPTION 2Out-of-State Test Exemption
- Log in to your TEAL account, click on “Educator” to access the Educator Certification Online System.
- Click “Continue” to proceed to the Educator Main Menu.
- Click "Applications."
- Click "Out-of-State Certified Applicants." This will direct you to the “Educator Out-of-State Certification Menu."
- Click "Continue" at the bottom of the page. This will direct you to the "Application for Certified Out-of-State Applicants."
- Complete the questions on the Applicant’s Affidavit.
- Continue to "Educator Out-of-State Application for Certificate” screen and scroll to the bottom of this page.
- Click on the box for a "Standard Certificate-$78," and follow the prompts to complete the process and pay the fee online at the end.
Individuals interested in seeking an exemption from required Texas examinations must submit:
- A review of credentials application and $164 fee, and all required documentation as indicated on the application.
- Official verification of tests taken for issuance of licensure outside of Texas. This form must be returned directly from the licensing agency and will not be accepted from the educator.
- Service record completed by the employing school, verifying required years of experience:
- Classroom teachers: 1 academic year of verifiable, wage-earning, full-time experience as a classroom teacher
- Administrator and student service certificates: 2 academic years of verifiable, wage-earning, full-time experience in the certificate area.
- Service record for test exemptions (PDF)
If you have question regarding the certification process in Texas, click here to visit the TEA website.If you have questions regarding HISD certification process, contact Certification at email@example.com or call 713-556-7300.
- Verification of accreditation is required if service was earned in a private school or in any school outside of the United States.