The state of Texas allows prospective teachers who currently hold a valid teaching certification in other countries to be able to submit verification of their current credentials to qualify for Texas teacher certification.
TEA Application Instructions
You must apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $164 non-refundable fee.
- Create a TEA Online account.
- TEA will issue you a temporary number if you do not have an SSN. The temporary number allows you to create a TEA Login (TEAL) account and access the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS). Access to ECOS is needed to apply for a Review of Credentials.
- Note: Effective August 1, 2015, P-numbers can no longer be utilized for completion of the fingerprinting process.
- Submit an original course-by-course evaluation by a recognized foreign evaluation service.
- Submit an original written statement from your country's licensing agency.
- Submit acceptable proof of oral English language proficiency.
- Note: Passing scores on the TOEFL-IBT exam
- 24 on the speaking
- 22 listening
- 22 reading
- 21 writing
Once the review of credentials has been completed, you may be eligible for a non-renewable one-year certificate from TEA. After completion of the one-year certificate and all appropriate exams, you may apply for the standard certificate to become a Texas certified teacher.