Teaching Assistant Candidates
Applicants must first be employed by a school district before being eligible to apply for an Educational Aide certificate.
Educational Aide Requirements
- Must be a high school graduate or hold a General Educational Development (GED) certificate;
- Have 48 semester hours of college credit with some emphasis on child growth and development or related subject areas; and
- Must have experience working with students or parents.
After the hire, follow the instructions below to apply for the educational aide certificate.
Please review the step-by-step process to apply for the 2-year, non-renewable Educational Aide certificate. You need a TEA Login (TEAL) account to access your educator account and apply for or renew your certificate.
- Read the instructions and set up your TEAL account (if you have not already created an account).
Failure to follow the instructions will delay your reissuance.
- Log into TEAL at https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/login.asp. (instructions are included at this website)
- Once your TEAL account has been created, select Educator to go into your Educator Certification Online System (ECOS) account.
- Once in ECOS, select Applications, then reapply for the new 2-year, non-renewable Educational Aide certificate.
- Follow the prompts to submit the online application and make your payment.
- Once the above requirements are met, HISD Certification team will recommend your certificate.
If you have questions regarding the certification process in Texas, click here to visit the TEA website.
If you have questions regarding the HISD certification process, email email@example.com or call 713-556-7400.