“A specialized magnet program for gifted children”
- Highly qualified teachers with specialized training in gifted education
- Participation in academic and speech competitions
In order to be considered for the Vanguard program students must qualify on a matrix that includes the following: ability testing, achievement testing, grades, teacher ratings and, if applicable, overcoming obstacles such as limited English skills, special needs and low socio-economic status. Eligibility determination will be made by the Advanced Academics Department and parents will be notified of the results.
Application Process (Step by Step):
1. Take a tour of the schools in which you are interested. Learn more about the schools to assess if the school is going to be the right fit for your child’s needs and your family. All HISD Elementary schools will host tours every Thursday morning at 9:00 beginning on October 4, 2018. The last Magnet tour will be hosted on Thursday, December 6, 2018. No appointments are necessary.
2. Complete the Magnet application. You can complete your application online or pick up a paper application from the magnet office. It is highly recommended that you complete the application online so that you are notified instantly with updated messages about testing and your child’s acceptance to a program. Apply online at www.HISDChoice.com. If you complete a paper application, you can deliver it in person or mail it to the Office of School Choice, 4400 W 18th St. Houston, TX 7709. Applications must be submitted no later than December 7, 2018 for consideration in the first round of applications and lotteries. Be certain that all required documents are attached to the application or uploaded when you submit it.
3. Rank your schools. Rank the programs you apply to in priority order, from first choice to last choice. You may apply to a maximum of 5 programs. Put “1” next to the most desired program, “2” next to the second highest ranked choice, and so on. It is very important that you think carefully about your ranking, because if your child is accepted to a program, any lower-ranked choice will be automatically dropped. You may adjust the order of your choices through December 7, 2018 online, or by submitting a new paper application listing all your choices.
4. Wait, wait and wait some more! Once testing is completed, it takes 6-8 weeks for the results to return and processing to be completed. Parents will be notified on March 21, 2018 of the outcome of all Phase 1 applications.
5. Intent to attend deadline. Students may accept only one Magnet program for the 2019-20 school year. Families will have two weeks to accept an offered seat at a Magnet program by submitting proof of residency and signing a Magnet Entrance Agreement.For information, please call Todd Paulus, Vanguard Coordinator, at 713-778-3315 or email at email@example.com.