• To register and enroll your child in the school that he or she is zoned to attend, bring the following to school:

    • The child’s birth certificate or other proof of age and identity;
    • Proof of your identity and residential address (driver’s license and utility bill); and
    • A record of your child’s current immunizations signed by a doctor. Your child may be eligible to enroll provisionally if the required immunization process has begun.
    • Texas law requires that a child must be enrolled by the child’s parent or guardian or another person with legal control of the child under a court order.
    • It also requires the district to record the name, address, and date of birth of the person enrolling the student.

    To find out which school your child is zoned to attend, use the School Zone Search Tool.See School Choice Options for information about transfers and Magnet/Vanguard and charter-school enrollment.

    Proof of Address:

    • Mortgage/rental contract
    • Lease agreement
    • Electric Bill
    • Gas Bill
    • Water Bill
    • Property Tax Records

    ***If parents CANNOT show legal proof of address, an Affidavit of Residence must be completed with the school registrar***

    Guardian's photo ID

    • Texas State issued ID or Driver's License
    • Military ID


    • Legal Guardinship papers (from a Judge)
    • Birth Certificate
    • Determination of Residence of a Minor Form (from HISD "Student Transfers Deparment" located in the HISD Administration Building 4400 W. 18th Street Ph-713-556-6000

    Current Immunization Records

    Final Report Card from previous school

    Welch will also request an official transcript from your child's previous school.

    ARD papers (where applicable)

    Latest standardized test scores (if available)

    If you are missing any item on this list, enrollment cannot be processed. Please ensure you have ALL documentation required for prompt processing.

    School Boundary Maps

    To view individual middle school boundary maps click here, go to the School Locator. Type in part of the name of the school in the "Search by Name" field and click "Submit ." All schools have an "Attendance Boundary Map" link. If you need additional assistance, see How to Use the School Information Tool.

    Enrollment when living with relatives or friends

    Every school district requires identification of each student as a condition of enrollment, which must be under a student’s legal name as shown on that student’s birth certificate or other legal document. The parent or legal guardian must furnish documentation of the student’s identity, age, and residence and a copy of the student’s records within 30 days of enrollment (or 90 days if the student was born outside the U.S.). If the student does not have a Social Security number, HISD will assign a Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) number. No student may be denied enrollment solely because of failure to meet the documentation requirements. Enrollment is provisional, however, pending receipt of the required documentation and verification of eligibility.

    A parent or legal guardian who resides with relatives or friends within HISD and who wishes to send a child to an HISD school must submit a statement of residence. The parent or guardian must complete the statement at the zoned school and must supply the following:

    • Photo identification
    • A letter from the official resident of the address at which the applicant is living, stating how long the applicant has lived at that address
    • The name of the school the student attended most recently
    • A copy of the official resident’s most recent bill for electricity, gas, or water; and
    • If the residence is an apartment, a valid lease giving the name of the official resident. (For assistance, call the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734.)

    Attendance Requirements

    Truancy is a CRIME! When your child has excessive UNEXCUSED absences its against the law. KNOW THE LAW and PROTECT you and your child! HISD Attendance Policy

    • ALL students are expected to attend school daily.
    • If a student is absent he/she must bring a written excuse upon returning to school
    • Acceptable excused absences:
      • Personal illness
      • Sickness or death in the family
      • Weather or road conditions
      • Juvenile court preceedings documented by a court official
      • Family emergencies
    • Students have 5 days to make up school work upon returning from an excused absence
    • Failure to turn in a note within 3 days of the absence will result in the child receiving an unexcused absence
    • If a student is absent from school 3 or more days within a grading period without written parental consent or is absent without an excuse for more than 10 days in a semester:
      • The sudent's parent or legal guardian is subject to prosecution under TEC 25.093
      • The student is subject to prosecution under TEC 25.094
    • Students arriving after 9:50 a.m. will be counted ABSENT
    • A student not in their seat upon roll call is absent


    • Students arriving after 8:35 a.m. MUST have a note from a parent giving the reason for the tardy
    • A student coming late from a doctor's appointment must have a doctor's note
      • Students MUST sign the "Late/Tardy Log" in the attendance before receiving a permit to class.
    • Students entering the classroom after the roll has been called MUST receive documentation of being in class from the teacher before the absence is removed for that class period