Welch Middle School Dress Code
2019-2020The dress code is designed to promote a safe learning environment free of distractions. Several areas are directly addressed; however, any item determined to be a distraction to the educational process will not be allowed. The administrative team will serve as the final arbitrator to determine what distracts from the educational process. Parents are asked to monitor their child’s attire since violations may result in students being removed from classes. Appropriate items may be found in most local department or discount stores.
- Plain Polo type shirts (with a collar and 3 buttons) may be worn:
- 6th grade – Gray
- 7th grade – Gold
- 8th grade – Navy
- Welch authorized t-shirts can be worn only on Fridays to promote school spirit (this does not include the P. E. uniform t-shirt).
- Only white t-shirts/undershirts are allowed to be worn underneath uniform shirts.
- Navy, khaki, or black long pants (uniform or cargo)
- Jeans are acceptable (no rips, holes, frays, designs, or prints)
- No shorts
- No skirts or skorts
- No capris
- No cropped pants
- No spandex, denim, denim-like, nylon, stretch clothing or parachute fabric
- No jogging pants/warm-ups
- No form - fitting or baggy (over-sized) clothes; pants must be true to size and worn at the waist)
- Pants should not be rolled up at any time.
For safety reasons, students will only be allowed to wear plain belt buckles and not those with name plates, scrolling messages or any type of belt that is deemed a safety risk by the administration.
Student ID Badges
For safety reasons, ID badges must be worn daily. Temporary ID badges (stickers) can be purchased daily for $1.00 from the main office. Replacement ID badges (if lost or stolen) can be purchased for $5.00 in the main office.
- Shoes must be safe and have a heel strap.
- No thong shoes or sandals
- No house shoes or flip - flops
- No slides
- No shoes with rollers underneath
- No mesh or jelly-like shoes
- NO SHOES DEEMED UNSAFE BY SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION
Throughout the year, students may wear a pull–over sweater/sweatshirt for cool temperatures inside of the building as part of the uniform. A sweater/sweatshirt must be worn over the uniform shirt. Sweaters/Sweatshirts must be a solid color (white, gray, gold, black, or navy ONLY) and have no designs or oversized logos/writing or print of any kind. The sweater/sweatshirt may have a round or v–neck (button–front cardigans are also allowed). The sweater/sweatshirt must be an appropriate size for the student (not excessively baggy or long). Students will not be permitted to use blankets in classrooms or on the school premises. When the weather turns cool, a student may wear a jacket/coat. Hoodies are never allowed. (no hoods on) ***If hoodies are confiscated at any time during the school day, a parent must visit to retrieve the item. Hoodies will only be given back once.
Additional Dress and Grooming Regulations
Students are not to wear excessive jewelry. All chains are limited to one small size pendant. Nose studs, nose earrings, lip piercings, eyebrow piercings, cheek piercings, or any other piercings other than ear piercings, will NOT be allowed. Boys will NOT be allowed to wear earrings. Any jewelry depicting the occult, gang membership, death, violence, drugs, sex, alcohol, obscenities, or anything else deemed inappropriate will NOT be allowed.
Hairstyles or hair colors that distract from the educational process are NOT allowed. Hair colors must be natural colors (no colors such as purple, green, orange, pink, red, yellow, blue, etc.)
- Headgear such as hats, caps, scarves, do – rags, sunglasses or bands / bandanas are not allowed. Glitter (cosmetic or art), colored mousses or colored spray, shaving cream or any other substance that may cause bodily harm (eye infection, etc.) are not permitted. Hair spray is not to be used while on campus.
- Sweatbands are not permitted to be worn on the head or arms. The physical education coach may permit head sweatbands during P. E. classes.
- Large head wraps / bows / ribbons are not allowed.
- Tattoos and body art should not be a distraction and must be covered during the instructional day.
- Purses larger than 8” x 5” x 3” are NOT allowed. Purses should never be used in place of a backpack.
ALL BACKPACKS MUST BE CLEAR OR MESH