Make Patterson Your Choice!
Academics: Magnet Program
Patterson Elementary has a school-wide literature magnet program, in which all students participate. Our school prides itself with having a full scope of learning opportunities that impact student achievement. Instructional specialists provide small group intervention in all content areas. These interventions occur in our Extended Day Tutorials and The Patterson Saturday Learning Camp. Our students also complete in various academic competitions, such as University Interscholastic League (UIL), Spelling Bee, and Name that Book. (See below for more details)
Making Learning Fun
Activities such as The Harvest of Literature in the fall is just one of many examples showcasing Patterson’s commitment to student achievement. Here are some other exciting things happening at Patterson:
- Curriculum that focuses on reading in all content areas
- IB Candidate School
- Monthly Literature Café Showcases and Family Reading Nights
- Hands-on, inquiry based learning in our state-of-the-art Science Lab
- Dual Language Program (Offered for PK-2nd next year)
- Neighborhood Vanguard Gifted & Talented Program
- Competition in University Interscholastic League (UIL) events
- Recipe for Success Cooking Club
- Robotics Afterschool Program
- Bluebonnet Book Club & Name that Book Clubs
- Battle of the Books
- Competition in Spelling Bee
- Book Character & Author Visits
- Personal iPads for all 5th Grade Students
- Two Computer Labs for Student Use
- Exploration of different genres of reading in our Literature Labs
Magnet Application: English & Spanish http://hisdchoice.com
Parents you can also print out the application please click on the links below
Learning about Magnet Programs
Parents should become familiar with Magnet programs by:
- Attending one of Houston ISD’s School Choice Open Houses on Saturdays
- Sterling High School: September 29, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Washington High School: October 20, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Westbury High School: November 10, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Milby High School: December 1, 2018 from 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Attending a Magnet Tour at Patterson at 9:00 a.m. on a Thursday from October 5-December 7 or by appointment
- Parents can pick up an application from any Magnet program school, call HISD’s School Choice Department at 713-556-6947, or visit https://www.houstonisd.org/magnet
- Parents complete the paper application or the online application (http://hisdchoice.com) which takes about 5-10 minutes to complete.
- Parents submit paper application form by mail or in person to Office of School Choice, 4400 W. 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092.
- Students can apply to a total of five (5) Magnet Programs and up to a maximum of five (5) Vanguard Programs.
- Forms can be submitted as early as September 28, 2018 and must be submitted no later than December 7, 2018 for the first round of screening. Applications received after December 7, 2018 will be accepted on a space-available basis.
- When there are more qualified applicants than space available, a school-specific lottery or audition shall be used to select students. All lottery sessions will be held at Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center by the Office of School Choice. Lottery results are not final until approved by the Office of School Choice.
5th Grade Parents Applying for Middle Schools
- Attend our Patterson School Choice Event on October 17th at 1:00 p.m. to learn about Middle School Programs
Acceptance & Notification
- School notifies parents, by mail, that their child has or has not been accepted into the program in the spring of 2019
- Parents notify the Magnet program (one program only) that they accept the invitation for their child to attend by returning acceptance documents by the deadline
- Parents complete registration materials provided by school
- Parents follow enrollment procedures as indicated by school
- Students whose final 2018-2019 report card does not show that they were promoted to the grade for which they applied may not be accepted
Final acceptance also depends upon students completing the enrollment process.
Assistant Principal/Magnet Coordinator
Phone (713) 943-5750
Fax (713) 943-5755
Phone (713) 943-5750
Fax (713) 943-5755