INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE PROGRAMME
IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment. These programs encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Hogg is an IB Middle Years School
MYP is a five-year programme that begins at age 11 and extends into high school. It is a challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world. The MYP curriculum framework comprises eight subject groups, providing a broad and balanced education for early adolescents. See the course selection tab on the left for how this effects your child's schedule.
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- Build confidence in managing their own learning
- Learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- Outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills [PDF, 647KB]
- Consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- Thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excell [PDF, 3.2MB]
- Develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
The Programme ModelIn the programme model for MYP, the center shows the student with the understanding that the learner profile is at the core of the programme.
- Approaches to Learning (ATL) – demonstrating a commitment to developing skills for learning.
- Approaches to Teaching – collaborative learning through inquiry.
- Concepts – highlighting a concept-driven curriculum.
- Global Contexts – showing how learning best takes place in context.
- Student-initiated action, which may involve service within the community.
- Community Project (Year 3/8th Grade) – MYP culminates in this student driven action project.
3rd RingShows the broad and balanced curriculum of the MYP programme. The distinction between subject groups blurs to indicate the interdisciplinary nature of the MYP. The subject groups are connected through global contexts and key concepts.