APPLICATION PROCESS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
1. Completed application: TRACS #282
2. Upload transcript(s) from ALL colleges and universities attended in the United States (including Junior/Community, undergraduate, and graduate)
- Have a conferred four-year bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- If your GPA is 2.5 and above on your bachelors degree: Transcripts will be evaluated to determine eligibility and certification pathway.
- 10% Exception Rule Policy - We may accept a maximum of 10% of all applicants that fall into the following categories:
- If your GPA is between 2.45 - 2.49 on your bachelors degree, and
- If your degree is in Science, Math or Engineering ONLY, and
- A passing score on the TX PACT Exam on one of the following content areas is required:
- Life Science 7-12
- Math 4-8
- Math/Science 4-8
- Math 7-125
- Science 4-8
- Science 7-12
- If your GPA is 2.44 and below on your bachelors degree, you will not be considered
- Testing History: (two or more failed TExES exam attempts will not be considered).
- If you have previously been on an intern or probationary certificate, you are ineligible.
- All foreign degrees must include a course by course evaluation from an https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/certification/out-of-state-certification/certification-based-on-credentials-from-another-country:
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, not including US Territories or;
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree earned from one of these countries: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, India, Ireland, Gibraltar, Grand Cayman, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Singapore, Trinidad/Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United Kingdom and U.S. Pacific Trust or;
- Pass the TOEFL-iBT exam click here with the minimum scores below:
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States? (if offered a position to work in the Houston Independent School District, you will be required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification form (I9) and produce documentation of your identity and authorization to work).
3. Resume (updated and uploaded)
4. Three current references (with email addresses and contact information)
5. Essay (250 word minimum)
6. Interview (Passing Score)
7. Criminal Background Check: Candidates will be required to complete a background check prior to certification and prior to employment which meets the requirement in 19 TAC 227.1(b). A criminal history may jeopardize an individual's ability to teach and/or be employed. A criminal history may make a candidate ineligible for certification upon completion of an EPP and the individual has a right to request a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation (PCHE) from TEA.
ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Select the How To Apply Tab