Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS)
VIPS are HISD volunteers. Each year, thousands of parents, students and community partners support HISD students and teachers by volunteering their time. VIPS represent all economic, ethnic and educational backgrounds. They are caring adults or children, who tutor students, serve as classroom assistants to teachers, provide enrichment and hands-on experience with computers, work in the library, clinic, office, cafeteria, and provide other support.
How can I become a VIPS?
All volunteers must register online and pass a criminal background check before they can participate as a volunteer. Please follow the steps below to become a VIPS:
- Step 1: www.houstonisd.org
- Step 2: Once you have registered, you must go in person to the school of interest and show proof of identification.
- Step 3: Identification information will go into our database for processing by the
Volunteer Coordinator at each campus.
- Step 4: The criminal history background check can take 2-3 weeks to complete.
- Step 5: Once you are CLEARED to volunteer, you are eligible to volunteer throughout HISD.
What type of identification is accepted?
- Texas Driver’s License
- Official Passport
- Texas Identification Card
- Official U. S. Military ID
- Driver’s License (issued by any state in the U.S.)
- Matricula Consular
- Identification Card (issued by any state in the U.S.)
- Resident Alien Card
Our students benefit when we all volunteer!
For more information about volunteering in HISD schools, please contact the Parent Engagement Department at 713-556-7290.