Enrollment Eligibility

    Student Transfer: 713-556-6734

    Children may attend HISD schools if they live within the boundaries of HISD, are between the ages of 4 and 21, and have not graduated from high school. Three-year-old children may also receive Special Educationservices. Nonresident students may attend if they have an approved out-of-district transfer (see "Transfers" and "School Choice Options"), as stipulated in Board Policy FDA (LOCAL). Except for prekindergarten students not qualifying under state guidelines and Magnet Separate and Unique Schools, there is no longer a tuition fee. Children of nonresident HISD employees may attend HISD schools, on a space-available and tuition-free basis, after completing the transfer application process. Nonresidents must renew the out-of-district transfer each year.

    To be eligible for first grade, a child should be six years old by September 1 of a given school year. Although state law does not require students to attend kindergarten, it is excellent preparation for first grade, and parents are encouraged to enroll their children. To enter kindergarten, a child must be five years old no later than September 1 of a given school year.

    Prekindergarten Programs

    Full-day prekindergarten programs are available at no charge to students who meet certain criteria. Parents of students who do not meet the eligibility requirements to attend prekindergarten tuition-free may enroll their four-year-old child (child must be four years of age on or before September 1 of a given school year) in a full-day, tuition-based pre-kindergarten program at participating neighborhood schools, on a space-available basis. The state-set fee is $4,200 per year, which may be paid in 10 payments of $420.

    To obtain additional information about tuition-based prekindergarten, call the Early Childhood Department at 713-556-6882, or a participating school.


    In the interest of ensuring the widest possible range of choices in education, HISD also offers parents the option of sending their child to a school other than the “home” or “zoned” campus, provided that the school of choice has sufficient space available to accept additional students.

    When the school of choice accepts a student from outside its attendance zone, HISD requires that the parents agree to keep the student at the chosen school for the entire school year, and parents must assume responsibility for the student’s transportation. Parents may also apply to a school other than the “zoned” campus for other types of transfers, such as Magnet/Vanguard, special transfers for courses or programs, impassable geographic barriers, space-available, out-of-district, violent-crime victim, unsafe school, adequate yearly progress, and public education grant.

    Students residing outside HISD may attend HISD schools on a "space available" basis. All out-of-district transfers, including Magnet/Vanguard and HISD charter-school and contract programs, require the approval of the principal and superintendent of schools. See School Choice Options for more information about these options.

    For information about available space, the application process, and eligibility for transfers, call the school in which you are interested or the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734.