Jane Wilkinson Long
  • Overview

    This school was named after Jane Wilkinson Long, the “Mother of Texas.” She was the first known woman of English descent to enter Texas and bore the first child of such parentage in the state. Her husband was killed leading an expedition to invade Texas when it was under Spanish rule. She opened a hotel in Richmond and died near there in 1880. Long Middle School was built in 1957.