2020 - 2021: Health Tips for Students
From Nurse Paula Bottecelli, R.N.
What does the School Nurse do?
I am here every day for the children at West University Elementary School. I work with teachers, administrators and parents and students, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic. Please during this time, assess your child for any signs of Covid-19. We will be screening students as they enter the building for fever. If your child shows any signs of Covid-19, please have them stay home. Do not send them to school with fever. Some parents will give Tylenol and send them on. Please do not do that. If you think that there is a real possibility that they do have symptoms, keep them home and have your child tested.
I do many things and am here to help your children stay healthy and do their best in school. The following are some things I do:
- Administer medication to children-daily or as needed (I cannot give over the counter medication without a special form, signed by parent and physician)
- Assess children at school that may be sick. If your child has a fever do not send them to school. I send children home with a fever over 100. If they have a fever over 101.0 they should be fever free for 24 hours before coming back to school.
- Give first aid to children and staff as needed.
- Screen children for vision and hearing. The district requires us to screen Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 5th graders.
- Teach classes to the students on handwashing, cold prevention, dental health, sun safety and growth and development.
I am here to help promote student health in the school environment. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call me or email me.
West University Elementary School3756 University Blvd.Houston, TX 77005Telephone: 713-295-5215Fax: 713-667-8514West University Elementary School3756 University Blvd. Houston, TX 77005Telephone: 713-295-5215
Fax: 713-667-8514Email: firstname.lastname@example.org