What does the School Nurse do?
I am here every day for the children at West University Elementary School.
I do many things and am here to help your children stay healthy and be their best. Here are some things I do:
- Administer medication to children-daily or as needed (I cannot give over the counter medication without a special form, signed by parent and physician)
- Assess children at school that may be sick. If your child has a fever do not send them to school. I send children home with a fever over 100.4 If they have a fever over 101.0 they should be fever free for 24 hours before coming back to school.
- Give first aid to children and staff as needed.
- Screen children for vision and hearing. The district requires us to screen Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 5th graders.
- Teach classes to the students on handwashing, cold prevention, dental health, sun safety and growth and development.