From Nurse Paula Bottecelli, R.N.
Who is the school nurse, and what does she do?
Hello, my name is Paula Bottecelli. I have been a nurse here for over 20 years. I love this school and community. I am here every day for the children at West University Elementary School. I work with teachers, administrators, parents and students to maintain optimal health for our students.
There are many things that I do at the school, and I am here to help your children stay healthy and do their best in school. Some of my duties include the following:
- I administer medication to children-daily or as needed (I cannot give over-the-counter medication without a special form, signed by a parent and physician)
- I determine students’ possibility of communicable diseases and give recommendations, based on the CDC guidelines.
- I assess children at school that may be sick. If your child has a fever, do not send them to school. I send children home with a fever over 100. If they have a fever over 101.0, they should be fever free for 24 hours before coming back to school.
- I give first aid to children and staff as needed.
- I screen children for vision and hearing. The district requires us to screen Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and 5th graders.
- I teach classes to the students on handwashing, cold prevention, dental health, sun safety, and human growth and development.
West University Elementary School3756 University Blvd.Houston, TX 77005Telephone: 713-295-5215Fax: 713-667-8514West University Elementary School3756 University Blvd. Houston, TX 77005Telephone: 713-295-5215
Fax: 713-667-8514Email: email@example.com