2023-2024 NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
Registration is for NEW K-5th grade students (and PreK who have been offered a seat) who want to enroll for the 2023-2024 school year. Students must be zoned to West U; no transfers will be accepted.
- Step 1: Verify that your home address is within the West U Elementary zone: http://schoolfinder.houstonisd.org
- Step 2: Register with HISD online at http://houstonisd.org/enroll. Click on “New Student” on the right side of the page. Be sure to select the 2023-2024 Academic Year:
- Step 3: Download and complete the 2023-24 West U Pony Pack. Please print single-sided.
- Step 4: Book an appointment with our registrar. NO WALK-INS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- All required paperwork (checklist below) must be brought to the appointment to complete the enrollment process.
- Parents/Guardians who arrive at the enrollment appointment without all the required documentation will be asked to reschedule.
- Please do not drop off documents at the school or email documents to the registrar.
- Book an appointment here: http://wues.org/register
WHAT TO BRING TO THE ENROLLMENT APPOINTMENT:
- Completed HISD online application at http://houstonisd.org/enroll
- Completed 2023-24 West U Pony Pack (Step 3 above)
- Copy of student’s birth certificate
- Copy of student’s immunizations record. Required: https://wues.org/immunizations
- Copy of student’s social security card
- Copy of parent’s driver license
- Proof of Residency – THREE documents are required.
» You will need ONE of the following:
- A Property Tax Receipt showing a Homestead Exemption for the 2022 tax year or a Warranty Deed if you recently purchased a home. If you are purchasing a home in the school zone, bring a signed contract with a closing date within the next 30 days. Final closing documents must be submitted, and you must live in the residence before the school year begins.
- Lease Agreement. We need the entire lease agreement if you are currently leasing a house or apartment. All lease agreements will be verified with the landlord.
» You will need TWO of the following:
- Most current electric bill showing residential service.
- Most current gas bill showing residential service.
- Most current water bill showing residential service.
- Proof of grade level (for entering 1st - 5th grade): Copy of Dec. 2022 report card/transcript
- Withdrawal form (if enrolling 2 weeks after the start of school)
- Gifted & Talented identification matrix (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- LEP/ESL/504/IAT/IEP/Special Education documents (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- Certified copy of divorce decree/custodial documentation (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- Private testing or reports (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
Please email our registrar with any questions: Alma.Estrada@houstonisd.org
Important Enrollment Information
Enrollment is based on a first come, first serve basis with all completed registration information. HISD does not allow schools to hold spaces for new, incoming students.
Kindergarten Student Enrollment ONLY: All incoming kindergarten students must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the school year when the student begins kindergarten.
Additional Requirements for students enrolling in 1st through 5th grades:
- Students enrolling in first through fifth grade need last report card, standardized testing, and a withdrawal sheet from the previous school. Provide the address and phone number of the previous school.
- If your child qualified for Vanguard/GT at another HISD school, you will need to bring a copy of the GT Matrix and GT Status report for placement in our Gifted & Talented program.
Contact Brianna Wheelock at BWHEELOC@houstonisd.org for any questions concerning the Gifted and Talented program.
Email Alma.Estrada@houstonisd.org for questions concerning enrollment.