"In order to prepare Houston’s students for a world beyond the four walls of a classroom, HISD has launched PowerUp, a districtwide initiative aimed at transforming teaching and learning. PowerUp is about “powering up” all 282 of our schools to create a personalized learning environment for today’s 21st-century learners and to enable teachers to more effectively facilitate instruction, manage curriculum, collaborate with their peers, and engage today’s digitally wired students. A key component of HISD’s PowerUp initiative is ensuring that our schools, students, and staff have equitable access to technology –including devices, software, and infrastructure—which support 21st century teaching and learning. With greater access to technology also comes the need for educators and parents to work together to help students understand how the digital world works." - HISD PowerUp
We hosted our PowerUp Parent Night on August 18 in the Pin Oak library. If you missed it, don't worry – we've got you covered. We recorded the presentation and it's posted right below for you to catch up. Video Update: Since recording, the district has changed the PowerUp policy. The PowerUp fee of $25 has been waived for ALL HISD campuses. Pin Oak students only need to have their paperwork signed.
- Pin Oak's Device Technician, Mrs. Bell-Brown, can be reached at Kaneika.BellBrown@houstonisd.org
- Pin Oak's Instructional Technologist, Mr. Doke, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HISD Connect by Powerschool (Parent Portal). The district's Student Information System (SIS), HISD Connect by PowerSchool, includes student contact, enrollment, and demographic information, as well as grades and online resources.
- HISD Connect PowerSchool Mobile App is also available on Apple Store and Google Play.
- Getting Started with HISD Connect Parent Portal
- Completing Forms in HISD Connect Parent Portal
- Student Verification in HISD Connect Parent Portal
- HISD Connect Parent Portal: A Complete Guide
- How to set up email notifications
- HISD Canvas Info / About Canvas webpage
- HISD Canvas website information page for Students
- HISD Canvas website information page for Parents/Observer
- Canvas Parent/Observer Login
- Canvas Parent App for iPhone
- Canvas Parent App for Android
Pin Oak Ai Policy
- 23-24 Student & Family Handbook
- the Ai Policy is on pages 8-10
Pin Oak Chromebook Deployment
Pin Oak students will not be issued an HISD Chromebook until the items below are completed. These items will be printed on orange paper and given to students to take home for their parents/guardians to sign and return.
- Students and Parents/Guardians sign the HISD Student Device Loan Agreement.
- Students and Parents/Guardians sign the Pin Oak Acceptable Use Agreement
- Students and Parents/Guardians sign the Digital Safety Course Printout
Chromebook Deployment Dates
- 6th Grade Students: September 6
- 7th Grade Students: September 7
- 8th Grade Students: September 8
Students who are not able to receive their Chromebook on their assigned date can meet with Mrs. Bell-Brown, our Device Technician, any school day from 7:45am - 8:15am at the Student Success Desk located right next to the POMS Front Office. If you have questions about your student's Chromebook, please email Mrs. Bell-Brown at Kaneika.BellBrown@houstonisd.org.