INTERESTED IN ATTENDING TANGLEWOOD?
Tanglewood is currently accepting applications for IB TRANSFERS ONLY for the 2022-23 school year! Students are admitted via the HISD School Choice Lottery. Students are qualified for the Lottery based on their past academic performance, conduct, test scores, and (most importantly) a teacher recommendation. (This is NOT the GT Recommendation.) Please note that Tanglewood Middle School is NOT a magnet school — we are a neighborhood Vanguard IB MYP campus. IF YOU ARE ZONED TO AN IB MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME SCHOOL (FONDREN, HOGG, LANIER, ORTIZ, ETC.) YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR A TRANSFER TO TANGLEWOOD. Selecting Tanglewood as one of your choices does not count against your five (5) magnet school choice options.
- For information about the Houston ISD School Choice process, please visit the district website here: www.houstonisd.org/schoolchoice.
- To download a copy of the Houston ISD "How to Apply to Schools" flyer in English CLICK HERE.
- To download a copy of the Houston ISD "How to Apply to Schools" flyer in Spanish CLICK HERE.
- To access the the School Choice online application, please visit the district website here: https://hisdchoice.com/login.
LEARN MORE ABOUT TANGLEWOOD
- Please view our Virtual School Tour by CLICKING HERE.
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about our IB Middle Years Programme by CLICKING HERE.
- Learn about our exciting Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS) Initiative that puts Chromebook and Hotspot technology in the hands of each and every student by CLICKING HERE.
- Check out our Resources Section to see the in's and out's of daily school life here at Tanglewood by CLICKING HERE.
- If you still have questions after reviewing our website, please submit your question to our ASK TANGLEWOOD... page by CLICKING HERE. Our responses will appear on our 2021-22 School Choice FAQ page LOCATED HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the Houston ISD School Choice website (https://hisdchoice.com/login) to complete your application.
- When you enter your child’s name and Houston ISD student ID number, the system should automatically calculate their matrix score.
- The system will only give you access to the schools for which your child qualifies (based on their matrix score).
- TRANSFER DOCUMENTS — Tanglewood does not use this feature. You will be contacted via eMail if additional supporting documents are required, and instructed how to provide them to the school.
- Rank your school choices in the order you wish to be considered for admission. You must weigh your choices very carefully — RANKING MATTERS.
- REMEMBER, YOU MUST CLICK THE “SEND MY APPLICATION” BUTTON to submit your application for processing.
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
- Applicants with a qualifying HISD Matrix Score — You will receive an eMail from Tanglewood with a fillable PDF Teacher Recommendation Form attached. This form should be forwarded to one of your child's current or recent teachers for completion. The recommending teacher is responsible for eMailing it to Tanglewood NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 1, 2021. If we do not receive the recommendation by the deadline, your application will not be qualified for inclusion in the Phase 1 Lottery. Please send the recommendation in sooner rather than later.
- Applicants without an HISD Matrix Score — You will receive an eMail from Tanglewood with a set of digital forms to complete to help us determine your child's eligibility. You will also be asked to submit previous STAAR scores, report cards, and a Teacher Recommendation Form. All materials must be eMailed to Tanglewood NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 1, 2021. If we do not receive the recommendation by the deadline your application will not be qualified for inclusion in the Phase 1 Lottery. Please send the recommendation in sooner rather than later.
- PHASE 1 APPLICATION — September 10 - November 11, 2021 — It is critical that you submit your application materials by the deadline, as we typically reach our transfer capacity in Phase 1.
- PHASE I LOTTERY NOTIFICATION — January 27, 2022.
- DEADLINE TO ACCEPT PHASE I LOTTERY — February 10, 2022.
- PHASE 2 APPLICATION — November 12, 2021 – March 10, 2022
- PHASE 3 APPLICATION — March 11, 2022 – Onward