Interested in attending Tanglewood Middle School?
Tanglewood is currently accepting applications for IB Transfers for the 2021-22 school year! Students are admitted via the HISD School Choice Lottery. Students are qualified for the Lottery based on their past academic performance, conduct, test scores, and (most importantly) a teacher recommendation. (This is NOT the GT Recommendation.) Please note that Tanglewood Middle School is NOT a magnet school — we are a neighborhood Vanguard IB campus. IF YOU ARE ZONED TO AN IB MIDDLE YEARS PROGRAMME SCHOOL (FONDREN, HOGG, LANIER, ORTIZ, ETC.) YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR A TRANSFER TO TANGLEWOOD. Selecting Tanglewood as one of your choices does not count against your five (5) magnet school choice options.
LEARN MORE ABOUT TANGLEWOOD
- Tanglewood will be posting a Virtual School Tour on our website that can be viewed by CLICKING HERE.
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about our IB Middle Years Programme by CLICKING HERE.
- Learn about our exciting Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS) Initiative that puts Chromebook and Hotspot technology in the hands of each and every student by CLICKING HERE.
- Check out our Resources Section to see the in's and out's of daily school life here at TMS by CLICKING HERE.
- If you still have questions after reviewing our website, please submit your question to our ASK TANGLEWOOD... page by CLICKING HERE. Our responses will appear on our 2021-22 School Choice FAQ page LOCATED HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the Houston ISD School Choice website (https://hisdchoice.com/apply/) to complete your application.
- When you enter your child’s name and Houston ISD student ID number, the system should automatically calculate their matrix score.
- The system will only give you access to the schools for which your child qualifies (based on their matrix score), and the type of schools you select in Step 3.
- ON STEP 3: MAGNET & PROGRAM CHOICE TRANSFERS (6-8) — YOU MUST CHECK THE "IB" BOX IN ORDER TO SEE TANGLEWOOD AS AN OPTION. IF YOUR HOME ADDRESS IS NOT IN HOUSTON ISD, YOU MUST ALSO CHECK THE "OUT OF DISTRICT" BOX IN ADDITION TO THE "IB" BOX.
- ON STEP 7: TRANSFER DOCUMENTS — Tanglewood does not use this feature. You will be contacted via eMail if additional supporting documents are required, and instructed how to provide them to the school.
- Rank your school choices in the order you wish to be considered for admission. You must weigh your Vanguard choices very carefully — RANKING MATTERS.
- REMEMBER, YOU MUST CLICK THE “SEND MY APPLICATION” BUTTON to submit your application for processing.
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
- Applicants with a qualifying HISD Matrix Score — You will receive an eMail from Tanglewood with a Teacher Recommendation Form fillable PDF attached. This form should be forwarded to one of your child's current or recent teachers for completion. The recommending teacher is responsible for eMailing it to Tanglewood NO LATER THAN NOVEMBER 6, 2020. If we do not receive the recommendation by the deadline, your application will not be considered. Please send the recommendation in sooner rather than later.
- Applicants without an HISD Matrix Score — You will receive an eMail from Tanglewood with a set of digital forms to complete to help us determine your child's eligibility. You will also be asked to submit previous STAAR scores, report cards, and a Teacher Recommendation Form. All materials must be eMailed to Tanglewood NO LATER THAN NOVEMBER 6, 2020. If we do not receive the recommendation by the deadline your application will not be considered. Please send the recommendation in sooner rather than later.
- PHASE 1 (Sept. 19 - Nov. 6, 2020) — Qualified in-district applications received during this phase will be entered into lotteries or be offered auditions. It is critical that you submit your application materials by the November 6, 2020 deadline, as we typically reach our transfer capacity in Phase 1.
- PHASE 2 (Nov. 7, 2020 – Feb. 26, 2021) — Qualified in-district applications received during this phase will be offered auditions or seats on a space available basis.
- PHASE 3 (February 27, 2021 – onward) — In-district applicants new to HISD and out-of-district applications will be considered on a space available basis.
- Tanglewood MS Virtual Tour
- 2020-21 School Choice FAQ
- How To Apply To A School (English)
- How To Apply To A School (Spanish)
- Questions about our campus and programs may be asked by CLICKING HERE.
- You may apply to a total of 10 schools. However, only five (5) of these choices can be for magnet programs.
- You may change your rankings and update information on your application as often as you wish during Phase I.
- A random lottery will be conducted if we have more qualified Phase I applicants than space available.
- For more information about HISD’s School Choice visit: www.houstonisd.org/magnet.