REAL MEN READ is a volunteer reading program that brings in MENtors from the community to read to lower elementary students for one hour each month to help foster early literacy.
The purpose of the REAL MEN READ program is to
- encourage and improve literacy skills of our students
- show students that real men value education
- provide MENtoring opportunities for students
- demonstrate the importance of community partnerships
The benefits to the REAL MEN READ program are
- students receive extra attention and positive role models who value education
- boys and girls see MENtors modeling the importance of reading
- each student receives his/her own book to build their own home library so learning can go beyond the classroom
Are you interested in serving as a REAL MEN READ mentor? Please contact our Teacher Specialist, Gabriela Pruneda at 713-696-2930 to set up your reading time at Garden Oaks!