Art in the Montessori Environment
https://www.montessoriservices.com/ideas-insights/art-in-the-montessori-environmentThe above link takes you to an article that is written to address art in the Montessori classrom. I encourage you to apply these techniques at home to extend the art lens outside the classroom! We also incorporate many other Fine Arts opportunities on campus throughout the year. They include:
- "FINE ARTS FRIDAYS" on campus. Fine Arts Fridays are a way to showcase performances by Montessori level to the rest of the campus and to provide students and families opportunities to participate in the celebration of Fine Arts on campus!
- Textile Arts with Creativity Shell - Students learn to stitch by hand and ona sewing machine. They finish a project during the semester-long course. https://www.creativityshell.org/
- Houston Young Audiences - This grant has provided underwriting for guest performers at Garden Oaks such as Opera to Go! from the Houston Grand Opera https://www.houstongrandopera.org/
- Houston Show Choir - Through this collaboration, upper elementary students receive music lessons from performing artists. Additionally, students and families are offered free and/or reduced price tickets to performances as well as holiday sing-a-longs and opportunities to watch rehearsals. https://houstonshowchoir.org/
- SongPlay - The Garden Oaks PTO underwrites this special treat with Julie Osterman! Children's House classes enjoy music and movement and build musical awareness
- Mr. Kenneth Clayborne - GOMM Singers! Under Mr. Clayborne's leadership, the GOMM Singers have been featured at the Greater Heights Crawfish Festival and the annual Educators' Banquet. When he's not at GO you will find Mr. Clayborne leading the Bayou City Performing Arts where he is the Artistic Director https://matchouston.org/presenter/bayou-city-performing-arts
Art is one of the many ways children express themselves. Art is a way for children to communicate their feelings. It is through art that children develop their fine motor skills. In the Montessori environment, we provide open-ended art activities that help children explore and use their creativity.
Final Words of Wisdom from Dr. Montessori
"The human hand, so delicate and so complicated, not only allows the mind to reveal itself but it enables the whole being to enter into special relationships with its environment... man 'takes possession of his environment with his hands.' His hands, under the guidance of his intellect transform this environment and thus enable him to fulfill his mission in the world."
—Maria Montessori, The Discovery of the Child