2022-2023 NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
2022-2023 WEST U REGISTRATION PROCESS
West U is offering an open house for new, incoming families on April 13, 2022, from 4:00-5:00 PM in the Cafeteria. Please use the door in the back of the school where it dead ends on Goode Street. There will be a short presentation where the administration will be present to answer questions, and there will be an opportunity to visit classrooms.
Registration is for new K-5th grade students (and PreK who have been offered a seat) who would like to enroll for the 2022-2023 school year. Students must currently be zoned to West U, as no transfers will be accepted.
Age Requirement: Under Texas State Law, a child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, to enroll in kindergarten in a Texas Public School. There are no exceptions to this law.
- Step 1: Verify that your home address is within the West University Elementary zone: http://schoolfinder.houstonisd.org/
- Step 2: Register with HISD online. Be sure to select the 2022-2023 Academic Year: HISD Enrollment
- Step 3: Download and fill out the West U PonyPack. Please print single-sided.
- Step 4: Book an appointment with our registrar Alma.Estrada@houstonisd.org. NO WALK-INS ACCEPTED
- If you are 10 minutes late for your appointment, your appointment will be cancelled and you will need to reschedule.
- All required paperwork (checklist below) must be brought to the appointment for the enrollment process to be completed.
- Parents/Guardians who arrive to the enrollment appointment without all the required documentation will be asked to reschedule.
- Please do not email documents to the registrar or drop them off at school.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE ENROLLMENT APPOINTMENT:
We will not accept incomplete enrollment packets; you must have everything with you to enroll. Registration documents may not be dropped off at the front office nor emailed to the registrar to be processed. Your child’s enrollment is not complete without all of the required documents.
- Completed Pony Pack http://wues.org/enroll
- Copy of student’s birth certificate
- Copy of student’s immunizations record. Required: https://wues.org/immunizations
- Copy of student’s social security card
- Copy of parent’s driver license
- Proof of Residency - THREE documents are required
» You will need ONE of the following:
- Harris County Appraisal District statement showing Homestead Exemption for current year or Warranty Deed if you recently purchased a home. If you are purchasing a home in the school zone, bring a signed contract with a closing date within the next 30 days. Final closing documents must be submitted, and you must be living in the residence before the school year.
- Lease Agreement. If you are currently leasing a home or apartment, please bring the entire lease agreement. All lease agreements will be verified with the landlord.
» You will need TWO of the following:
- Most current electric bill showing residential service.
- Most current gas bill showing residential service.
- Most current water bill showing residential service.
- Latest report card/transcript (for entering 1st - 5th grade)
- Withdrawal form (if enrolling 2 weeks after the start of school)
- Gifted & Talented identification matrix or private testing (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- LEP/504/IAT/IEP/Special Education documents (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- Certified copy of divorce decree/custodial documentation (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
- Private testing or reports needed for educational services (if applicable, may be turned in after registration)
Please email our registrar with any questions: Alma.Estrada@houstonisd.org
Important Enrollment Information
Enrollment is based on a first come, first serve basis with all completed registration information. HISD does not allow schools to hold spaces for new, incoming students.
Kindergarten Student Enrollment ONLY: All incoming kindergarten students must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the school year the child begins kindergarten. This is a State of Texas law and there are no exceptions to this law.
Additional Requirements for students enrolling in 1st through 5th grades:
- Students enrolling in first through fifth grade need last report card, standardized testing, and withdrawal sheet from previous school. Provide address and phone number of previous school.
- If your child qualified for Vanguard/GT at another HISD school you will need to bring a copy of the GT Matrix and GT Status report for placement in our Gifted & Talented program.
Contact Brianna Wheelock at BWHEELOC@houstonisd.org for any questions concerning the Gifted and Talented program.
Email Alma.Estrada@houstonisd.org for questions concerning enrollment.