In order to prepare Houston’s students for a world beyond the walls of a classroom, HISD has launched PowerUp, a initiative aimed at transforming teaching and learning. PowerUp is all about creating a personalized learning environment for today’s 21st-century learners and to enable teachers to more effectively facilitate instruction, managed curriculum, collaborate with their peers, and engage today’s digitally wired students.
In January of 2015, South Early High School “Powered UP” for the first time, and the campus is excited about continuing our journey with student laptops.
LAPTOP POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONS
1. A HP x360 laptop will be LOANED to all SECHS students for the 2019-2020 school year. To receive a laptop, students must return three (3) things:
- A signed STUDENT LAPTOP LOAN AGREEMENT (with a parent/guardian signature)
- A signed SOUTH EARLY COLLEGE HS LOAN AGREEMENT (with a parent/guardian signature)
- A twenty-five dollar ($25.00) non-refundable security deposit (cash, money order or SCHOOLPAY proof of payment)
2. South Early College High School is committed to HISD’s PowerUp initiative, and therefore, expects all students to receive a laptop. South Early College High School students cannot opt out of the PowerUp Initiative.
3. Students must comply with the Student Laptop Loan Agreement and the SECHS Laptop Acceptable Use Policy.
MAJOR NON-NEGOTIALES STUDENT'S LAPTOP EXPECTATIONS
A student must have his/her Laptop to enter class.
- A student must have his/her Laptop in the school-issued case 100% of the time.
- A student must come to school with Laptop fully charged.
- A student must prevent Laptop damage.
- A student must prevent Laptop loss/theft.
**Please read the SECHS Laptop Acceptable Use Policy for more details on the laptop non-negotiable(s).
2019-2020 LAPTOP DEPLOYMENT
Laptops will be issued to students for the 2019-2020 school year from August 21 to August 23 the week before the first day of school.
To receive a laptop, each student must turn in:
- Student Laptop Loan Agreement form (signed by a parent)
- South Early College HS Laptop Agreement (signed by a parent)
- Invoice for $25.00 non-refundable security deposit.
Laptops will be issued to students on the following days:
- Class of 2023: August 21 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class of 2022: August 22 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class of 2021: August 23 4:00pm - 6:00pm
SECHS encourages ALL students to pick up their laptops on the days above. If for some reason the student cannot come on the days assigned, the student can pick up their laptop the first week of school during school business hours It is important that ALL student pick up their laptops before school starts.
SAVING YOUR FILES
It is important students save their files to a cloud system to ensure all files are backed up securely. During certain repairs, laptops may have to be wiped, and laptops are completely reset for the summer. Students can save files to a flash drive, upload them to One Drive or Google drive. SECHS recommends that ALL students use the HISD OneDrive for saving and backing up documents. For instructions on how to save to the OneDrive. Click here
If a student loses the laptop, case, strap, and/or charger, he/she will be responsible for paying the cost.
- Shoulder Strap $9.00
- Power Charger $55.00
- Laptop Case $38.00
- Laptop $1,100 (*if a police report has not been previously filed).
If a student lost a laptop or laptop accessory during the 2019-2020 school year and did not pay the lost fee, they will be required to pay it along with their $25 non-refundable deposit. These students will have a financial hold placed on their account. All fees can be paid in cash or money order to the school secretary Ms. Bullock. SECHS has made every effort to contact these students multiple times and if you have a question about your students PowerUp status, feel free to contact Mr. Arauco at 713-732-3623