Absence and Leave Information
Did you know HISD offers different types of leave benefits?
We understand that employees need to take extended periods of time off for medical or personal reasons.
That is why HISD offers different leaves of absence to help employees deal with situations that require extended periods of time off from work.
Family and Medical Leave (FML)
Eligible employees who work for HISD can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12-month period for the following reasons:
- To care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition.
- For the employee’s own serious health condition.
- To care for the employee’s child after birth or placement for adoption or foster care.
- For a military exigency if the employee’s spouse, child, or parent has been called to active duty.
- To care for an injured or ill service member.
FML applications are now submitted via your Employee Self-Service (ESS) account. Log into your ESS account by clicking the following link: HISD Employee Self-Service
Once logged in, click on the 'FML Request' button under the 'HISD Extended Leaves' header, and you will be taken to the ‘Previous and Active FML Requests’ page where a new application can be submitted.
Other Leaves of Absence (LOA)
In addition to Family Medical Leave (FML), the Houston Independent School District offers four additional leave types (for self only):
- Temporary Disability Leave
- Developmental Leave
- Political Leave
- Military Leave
Please contact the Leave Administration department for assistance with any of the abovementioned leave options.
Leave Administration Department
Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center
4400 W. 18th Street (map)
Houston, TX 77092
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.