Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Eligible employees who work for HISD can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12-month period for the following reasons:
- The birth of a child or placement of a child for adoption or foster care,
- To bond with a child (leave must be taken within one year of the child's birth or placement),
- To care for the employee's spouse, child, or parent who has a qualifying serious health condition,
- For the employee's own qualifying serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the employee's job, and
- For qualifying exigencies related to the foreign deployment of a military member who is the employee's spouse, child, or parent.
An eligible employee who is a covered servicemember's spouse, child, parent, or next of kin may also take up to 26 weeks of FMLA leave in a single 12-month period to care for the servicemember with a serious injury or illness.
Family and Medical Leave (FML)
FML applications are now submitted via your Employee Self-Service (ESS) account. Log into your ESS account by clicking the following link: HISD Employee Self-Service
Once logged in, click on the 'FML Request' button under the 'HISD Extended Leaves' header, and you will be taken to the ‘Previous and Active FML Requests’ page where a new application can be submitted.