• How do I obtain a replacement diploma?

    A graduate who wishes to obtain a replacement copy of his or her high-school diploma must first obtain a copy of his or her transcript from Inactive Records (see "Transcripts" link at right for details) and present it to the registrar at his or her individual high school. Click here for a list of high-school registrars.

    Each high school has its own policies and procedures for obtaining copies of diplomas, but most charge a fee between $14 and $17 and require 6-8 weeks to process the request.

    Do I really need a duplicate diploma?

    In many cases, the answer is no.

    If the only reason you want one is to provide proof of graduation to a potential employer, then you should know that a duplicate diploma is not considered an official document. Diplomas are considered commemorative items, whose function is primarily ceremonial.

    For proof of graduation, you will need to obtain a certified copy of your high-school transcript, which can be obtained free of charge from your high school's registrar (as opposed to a duplicate diploma, which costs around $15).

    Please note: Replacement diplomas are not reproductions of the original documents issued. Replacement diplomas will be signed by the current principal and superintendent of schools at the time the request is processed, which may be different from those who were in office when the degree was actually obtained.

    HISD graduates may obtain a copy of their transcript free of charge from the Inactive Records department at the Hattie Mae White Administration Building.

    Make a request by mail

    Send a copy of the student's valid state driver's license or identification card (ID); a self-addressed, stamped, business size (#10) envelope; a completed "High School Transcript Request" form (you must have the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view or print document) to:

    Inactive Records
    Houston Independent School District
    4400 West 18th Street, Level 1 SE
    Houston, TX 77092-8501

    Make a request by e-mail

    E-mail requests MUST INCLUDE:

    • a completed "High School Transcript Request" form (you must have the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view or print document),
    • a copy/scan of a driver's license or other state-issued ID

    Send your completed form and copy of your ID:

    The transcript itself will be mailed to you. No transcripts will be faxed.

    Make a request in person

    Come to Inactive Records at 4400 West 18th Street, Level 1 SE.

    You must bring a current and valid state driver's license or identification card (ID). Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and the process usually takes about 15 minutes. Partial transcripts are also available for students who attended an HISD school at any time and either a) left the district before graduating or b) have not yet graduated.

    No requests for transcripts will be accepted over the telephone.

    Contact Inactive Records at 713-556-6744 during office hours if you have any questions. Also, feel free to call the Automated Request Line at 713-556-6780.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    • Can't I just go to my old high school to obtain a copy of my transcript?

    In some cases, you can. Many HISD high schools keep the most recent five-to-seven years' graduation records and student transcripts on file at their campuses before transferring them to the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center (Inactive Records Department).

    Check the list below to see where your file is located. If you graduated (or withdrew from school) BEFORE the year listed in the column next to your high school, then your records are no longer located at that campus. Please use the procedures outlined above to obtain a copy of your transcript.

    List of Records Available at Schools/HMWESC

    • What if I never made it to high school?

    Students who did not attend HISD high schools (but did attend HISD middle schools) should contact the last HISD middle school they attended to obtain a copy of their transcript. A list of middle-school clerks is below.

    List of Middle School Clerks