Please read the following information carefully. Applicants unwilling to complete the hiring stages or expectations outlined, should not submit your interest in an Associate Teacher (substitute) District Wide position.
HISD’s associate teacher online application form is easy to complete and submit. To get started, click the Apply Now icon and follow the directions to start your application for employment today! Candidates who apply early and pass the screening process will have the best chance of going through the hiring process quickly.
Step 1: Recruitment and Selection
The HISD Associate Teacher Selection team will periodically review associate teacher applications.
- Candidates selected for an interview will receive communication through e-mail only.
- A valid, working e-mail address is required to complete the process.
- Ensure e-mails from HISD are not missed by checking your spam/junk folders.
- Candidates selected for an in- person interview will need to come to the interview with a valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID.
- All application inquiries must be sent by email to AssociateTeacher@HoustonISD.org.
***Once candidates complete and pass their interview, they will be required to complete New Hire Paperwork that will be sent to their personal email within 1- 2 business days of interviewing. It is recommended that candidates complete their New Hire Paperwork within 24-72 hours of receiving the documents to ensure that they move along in the hiring process***
Step 2: Background check update
All employees working for an educational institution must be fingerprinted prior to beginning work after the passing of Senate Bill 9 in 2008.
Once you complete the access to police records form from the hiring packet, you must wait 24 to 48 hours to receive an email from IdentoGo. The email will enclose a Service code and an UEID number you will need to schedule your fingerprint appointment.
If you have already been fingerprinted for education with TEA as a certified or no-certified, your background will be reviewed and processed.
- To ensure timely completion of your hiring process, please complete the fingerprinting appointment within seven (7) calendar days. Delays in the fingerprinting process will impact your start date. The cost of the fingerprint services is paid by the applicant. Payment is required at the time of service, by Debit/Credit card (2.1%fee) or money order in the exact amount of cost. No cash accepted.
- Questions (regarding fingerprinting only) may be directed to Human Resources at 713-556-7491.
The phone number provided above is only for questions regarding background/fingerprinting.
Step 3: Pre-Hire Update
Candidates who have completed their background process (contacted at a later date and time) will need to have the below additional documentation available for processing.
- Valid ID
- Social Security card (physical copy only. A photo copy of your Social Security card will not be accepted.)
- University transcripts (must be sealed transcripts showing degree conferred)
Questions (regarding to pre-hire steps only) may be directed to Human Resources at 713-556-7343.
The phone number provided above is only for questions regarding Pre-Hire sessions or updating transcripts.
Step 4: Onboarding/Associate Teacher Orientation
All New Associate Teachers are required to attend Associate Teacher Orientation, a 2.5 – 3 hour training with the following objectives:
- Reviewing HISD Expectations of Associate Teachers
- Classroom Management Preview & Tips
- Technology Overview (email & HISD Portal)
- AESOP Training (substitute management system)
We strongly encourage that new Associate Teachers attend this training as soon as Pre-Hire session has been completed. This training is where Associate Teachers will receive their network access letter (HISD computer and email access), AESOP log-in and pin, and HISD badge.
Questions (regarding Associate Teacher Orientation) may be directed to the Onboarding team at Onboarding@HoustonISD.org.
The phone number provided above is only for questions regarding Orientation sessions.
- Due to staffing limitations, we regret that walk-in applicants can no longer be processed.
- APPLICANTS: All inquiries should be sent by e-mail to AssociateTeacher@HoustonISD.org.
- E-mail is the quickest way to reach someone.
- APPLICANTS: Given the excessive number of applicants HISD receives each semester, specific feedback will not be provided to applicants regarding status of their application process.