Prior to Employment

  • What happens if I am selected as a substitute teacher for HISD?
    If you are selected as a substitute teacher, you will be invited to an interview session. Upon passing your interview, you will be asked to be fingerprinted by SBEC, attend a pre-scheduled pre-hire session and attend a Substitute Teacher Orientation where you will be provided your HISD employee badge/number, computer/network password, and Frontline training.
    * ALL communication is sent through email only*
    I am in an Alternative Certification Program (ACP). Can I get hired as a substitute teacher at HISD?
    Yes. If you have not completed your certification requirements (including student teaching or internship), please consider applying for the position of substitute teacher districtwide.
    What happens if I was previously fingerprinted?
    The State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) requires that all substitute teachers be fingerprinted. Applicants who previously completed digital fingerprints through the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) will be accessed and reviewed for eligibility.
    How do I contact the substitute teacher selection department if I have questions?
    Communication from Human Resources (for Substitute Teacher concerns) will typically come from Please make sure to add this email address to your approved senders so our e-mail does not go to your spam/junk folder.

Once Employed

  • What happens if I need help retrieving my login credentials for HISD portal or Frontline?
    Please contact the Service Desk at (713) 892-7378 for assistance with usernames and passwords for the HISD portal. For questions on how to access the login page to Frontline, please refer to *When contacting the Service Desk, always leave an alternative email address and/or phone number.*
    I do not know my HISD email address
    In order to retrieve your HISD email address, please contact the Helpdesk at 713-892-7378 and select option 2 (Microsoft Outlook).
    What happens if I have questions regarding my paycheck?
    For any questions pertaining to your paycheck, please contact Employee Services at (713)556-7400 press option 6.
    I have been placed on a long-term assignment and I will need to be absent. How will my absence alter my long-term status?
    When placed on a long-term assignment, you can miss one day only. Your long-term status is lost if you miss two consecutive days; you will have to work ten consecutive days to regain long-term status. 

    * Long-term status is not a position and is subject to availability. It is a need-based type of assignment that is 10 or more consecutive days, for the same classroom and same teacher. To be considered for long-term assignment pay, you must hold a Bachelor's degree. Long-term assignments are only to be accepted for full-time certified teacher roles only*
    If I have accepted an assignment but need to cancel, who do I contact?
    Please contact the campus directly if you are unable to commit to your assignment. Keep in mind that cancelation of an assignment the day of the job prohibits the substitute teacher from accepting another assignment that day. You must give the campus notice of any cancelations 24 hours prior to the start of the assignments.
    Will I have to attend orientation and what can I expect?
    Yes. All substitute teachers and contract teachers transferred into the substitute teacher pool must attend Frontline training. The substitute teacher orientation is an important part of the onboarding process. Orientation covers the Frontline management system, classroom management, and substitute teacher expectations. Substitute Teacher Orientation is by invitation only.  You will receive an email invitation to attend orientation. 

    Note: Once an invitation is received, you have 30 days from the initial invite to attend. If you fail to attend an orientation within the 30 days, your substitute teacher application will be terminated and you can not reapply until the following school year. 
    If I previously had benefits as a full-time employee and transferred into the substitute teacher role, will I retain my health and welfare benefits?
    All benefits will be discontinued effective immediately. However, you may retain your benefits under the Affordable Care Act. If you retain benefits based on eligibility under ACA, your benefits will simply continue as well as your payroll deductions. If you earn benefits eligibility under ACA and you are not enrolled, you will be sent an email from the Benefits Service Center indicating that you have the right to enroll. Remember, ACA requires that you work an average of 30 hours each week over a certain period. Most categories of substitute teachers are not eligible for benefits (medical, life insurance, etc.) Generally, Dedicated Substitute Teachers (those that report to the same campus on a daily basis) are eligible for benefits. If you were enrolled in benefits and you do not retain them when moving into the substitute teacher roll, you will receive a COBRA packet that will allow you to retain your benefits. A comprehensive review of the HISD benefits package may be found at
    What happens to my accumulated leave time? Do I get to keep time earned?
    Accumulated Local Leave is lost. Accumulated State Leave remains banked.
    If I use leave days advanced to me, will I owe the district money upon transfer?
    Yes. Please contact Employee Services: 713-556-7400 if you have questions concerning your leave time or pay. 
    What happens to my accumulated leave time? Do I get to keep time earned?
    Accumulated Local Leave is lost. Accumulated State Leave remains banked.
    How may I request employment verification as a substitute teacher?
    Employment verification can be requested through HR Employee Services via email at, by calling 713-556-7400 or requesting assistance through online requests by visiting

Follow Us on Twitter