High School Magnet Application Process
Download our high school application guide by clicking here!
• September 29 to December 1, 2018 — School Choice Fairs and school visits (details below).
• September 28, 2018 — Applications available at HISDchoice.com, from your magnet program of choice, from the Office of School Choice, or via download from HoustonISD.org/Magnet.
• December 7, 2018 — Applications due for Phase I consideration (Qualified in-district applications will be entered into lotteries, or be offered auditions).
3 Steps for Applying to Magnet High Schools
Step 1 — Weigh Your Options
- Tanglewood will host a High School Magnet Fair for 8th grade students during the school day on October 15.
- Attend a School Choice Fair to learn more about the programs available across the district:
- September 29 — 9 AM to Noon at Sterling High School (11625 Martindale, 77048)
- October 20 — 9 AM to Noon at Washington High School (119 East 39th, 77018)
- November 10 — 9 AM to Noon at Westbury High School (11911 Chimney Rock, 77035)
- December 1 — 9 AM to Noon at Milby High School (1601 Broadway, 77012)
- Tour any HISD school on School Choice Thursdays at 1 PM from October 4 to December 6. All schools will offer tours at both 9 AM and 1 PM on November 29 and December 6.
- Visit HoustonISD.org/Magnet or call 713-556-6947.
Step 2 — Apply Online or On Paper
- You will have a limit of five (5) choices, and you must rank them 1-5, with your top choice being ranked No. 1. If you apply to Carnegie Vanguard, and your student is not ultimately identified as Gifted and Talented, your student will not be considered for the program.
- Apply online at HISDChoice.com. If you have used the system before, please use your previous account, or fill out a paper application. Pick up an application at the Magnet school of your choice, from the Office of School Choice, or via download from HoustonISD.org.
- Be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application. Check your email’s spam folder and do not use a Hotmail account — the service often blocks emails from HISD.
- Submit your application by December 7 to be considered in Phase I.
Step 3 — Secure Your Seat
- Notification of application status will be sent in early spring via email and will become viewable within the online application system’s parent dashboard. In addition, one Magnet application status letter is sent via U.S. Mail to the parents of all Phase I applicants.
- If your student has been offered a seat, you will have two weeks to respond to the offer, and make arrangements with the school to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement. This will not affect your position on any waiting lists at higher ranked schools.
Carnegie Vanguard High School
In order to apply to Carnegie, a student must be identified as GT (gifted and talented). This is done by examination. If your student is not already identified as GT, you must notify Ms. Leahy by clicking here before November 16, in order to take the required qualification exams. Tanglewood will give the IOWA on Saturday, December 8, and the CogAT the week of December 3, during students’ study hall.