Dear HISD Community:
I want to share with you an important update regarding our back-to-school plan for the 2021-2022 school year.
Using safety as our guiding compass, we have updated our plan and strengthened our protocols to ensure our in-person learning and working experiences are as safe as possible when students and staff return to school later this month.
The reinstated protocols include:
- Masks: Masks covering both the nose and mouth are required for all individuals inside all HISD schools, buildings, and buses regardless of vaccination status. Their use is encouraged outdoors.
- Sanitization: All district schools and buildings will be cleaned, disinfected, and fogged nightly with hospital-grade disinfectants as a precautionary measure. Hand sanitizer and other cleaning and disinfecting supplies will be provided in all school, buildings, and buses.
- Health Screening: Because they are not yet eligible for vaccines, elementary students will continue to undergo temperature screening upon arrival at school. Pending HISD Board of Education approval, all staff will be required to complete online self-assessments through the Axiom Medical CheckIn2Work health screening app before arriving at work.
- Visitors: Visitation is limited to essential and pre-scheduled visitors, including individuals who have been pre-approved through the Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) program. Parents registering their children for school also are allowed.
- In-person gatherings: In-person gatherings, meetings, and events are permitted in HISD schools and buildings if all attendees wear masks and maintain 6 feet of physical distance. If these conditions cannot be met, the gathering must be held outdoors or virtually.
- Uniforms: Student uniform policies will be flexible at all campuses.
As you may know from our community webinar this evening, these safety measures — and others — are explained in detail in our updated Ready, Set, Go! Back to School Plan. I encourage you to carefully review this plan to ensure you understand the changes and their impact. Please also check the website often for updates as this plan is a dynamic, living document that will continue to be updated as conditions change.
Please note: Updated mask and in-person gathering protocols take effect take effect Monday, Aug. 16, 2021. All other updated protocols take effect in coordination with the start of school on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021.
As we ready for the start of school, please know we are continuing to work closely with local public health officials and seek their guidance as we monitor local conditions and prioritize the safety of our all students and staff.
I look forward to seeing you in about a week for the start of a safe and successful school year.
Millard House II