VIPS (VOLUNTEERS IN SCHOOLS)
Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) VIPS are HISD volunteers.
Each year, thousands of parents, students, and community partners support HISD students and teachers by volunteering their time. VIPS represent all economic, ethnic and educational backgrounds. They are caring adults or children who tutor students, serve as classroom assistants to teachers, provide enrichment and hands-on experience with computers, work in the library, clinic, office, cafeteria, and provide other support.
How can I become a VIPS?
All volunteers and chaperones must register online and pass an annual criminal background check before they can participate as a volunteer. Please follow the steps below to become a VIPS:
1) Complete VIPS Online Volunteer Orientation
English: https://www.houstonisd.org/vipslogin Spanish: http://houstonisd.org/voluntarios
2) Read the VIPS Volunteer Handbook (Save/Print Certificate of Completion)
3) Complete VIPS Volunteer Application, agree to the Annual Background Check and
read the required documents (Code of Ethics, Code of Civility, Confidentiality Statement).
4) Annual Background Check is processed within 3-5 business days.
Volunteer receives confirmation of receipt email from firstname.lastname@example.org
5) If APPROVED, volunteer receives an approval email from email@example.com
If DENIED, volunteer receives a denial email from firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Volunteer creates personal Raptor Portal Volunteer Account to be able to
track their volunteer hours.
Our students benefit when we all volunteer!