Frequently Asked Questions

  • General Questions
    How do I get an employee ID badge?
    When you come to Human Resources to complete your hiring process, you will have your ID badge photo taken. Once your data is entered into the Employee Database, you will be invited to attend New Employee Orientation, where you will receive your ID badge.
    How do I get a replacement badge?
    You may obtain a replacement ID badge from the Badge Desk at the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center. Replacement ID badges cost $5.00 and the accepted methods of payment are cash, personal check, and credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover). Credit cards incur a $.40 convenience fee. 
    When is New Employee Orientation?
    New Employee Orientation is offered frequently throughout the year and new employees will recieve information on their welcome letter from their HRBP Associate. Please visit our New Employee Orientation page for more information and to sign up. If you have not completed the hiring process and recieved your Welcome/Clearance letter you will not be welcomed into New Employee Orientation. 
    How do I access my HISD email and computer?
    Once you have been entered into our employee system, your campus' Human Resources Assistant will send you an email informing you that you have been cleared to start work. The email will contain your login credentials as well as your employee ID number and start date. 
    What is the myHISD Employee Portal, and how do I access it?
    The Employee Portal provides you access to your HISD email from non-HISD computers as well as access to your pay statement and leave balances. Additionally, by signing into the Employee Portal, you can access employee-only resources on the HISD website. To log in to the Employee Portal from the HISD home page (, click on the myHISD tab, and then select the "Log In" button. If you are logged into your account on the HISD network, you should then be automatically logged into the myHISD site.
    How do I find my duty schedule?
    You may view the HISD Duty Schedules online. Duty schedules include information such as holidays, staff development, and school beginning and end dates. If you have questions, you can call Employee Services to confirm that you are looking at the correct schedule.
    Who is my HR contact person?
    Your Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) and your Human Resources Assistant (HRA) are your first points of contact for all matters related to Human Resources. You may use the My HR Assistant search tool to identify your campus' Human Resources Assistant and his/her contact information.
    How can I view HISD’s employee policies?
    All of HISD’s employee policies are located in a central location known as Board Policy Online.
    Who do I contact regarding compensation or contracts?
    You may contact your HR Business Partner Assistant (HRA) or HR Business Partner (HRBP) directly. You may use the My HR Assistant search tool to identify your campus' Human Resources Assistant and his/her contact information.
    How do I update my Certification or Education Status?
    To update or inquire about your certification status, please contact your HR Assistant (HRA) or HR Business Partner (HRBP). For all updates to education status (degrees conferred), original transcripts must be submitted to your HR Assistant. 
    How do I receive credit for my previous years of experience?
    ?If you were employed in a Texas public school, contact the Human Resources department of the former school district and request that the original service record is mailed to you at your home address or other mailing address. Do not request the service record be mailed to HISD. For all other schools/institutions, such as out-of-state schools, we will provide you with a Teacher Experience Report form for you to mail to the former school/institution to complete. An original service record from your previous school district(s) must be presented to HR for review and consideration. HR will not accept faxed or emailed copies of service records. For non-teaching experience from a previous employer, a letter of verification on company letterhead must document the dates of employment, job title, and employment status (full-time/part-time). Employees have 90 calendar days from the date of hire to document prior experience.


    When is the enrollment deadline?
    You have 30 days after your hire date to enroll in the HISD benefits program. If you miss the enrollment deadline, you will not have coverage for the remainder of the calendar year. 
    When do benefits begin for a new employee?
    You will be sent an email to sign up for benefits. Upon doing so, benefits coverage begins on your benefits effective date, which is the first of the month following 30 days after your hire date. 
    Who should I call with benefits questions?
    Call HISD Benefits Service Center at 1-877-780-HISD (4473) and speak to a Benefits Specialist, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central Time, weekdays, except holidays. You can also email us at Log on to to view benefits information and resources.
    What coverage will I have if I don't enroll in any district benefits?
    If you are a newly eligible employee and you do not enroll, you will not have any district benefits coverage except:
    • Employee Assistance Program
    • Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
    • HISD Employee Health & Wellness Center by Concentra 


    What is TRS, and when do I qualify?
    Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) is an alternative to the Social Security system. The money deducted from your payroll check (TRS Retirement Contribution) by HISD is sent monthly directly to TRS and placed in a retirement account in your name. You cannot opt out of these deductions, because they are mandated by the state of Texas and are not optional as long as you work in the Texas Public School System. 

    TRS eligibility begins on your start date. You will receive a TRS package by mail within 30 days of eligibility.
    Am I eligible for a 403(b) or 457 retirement plan?
    All active HISD employees are eligible to participate in the voluntary 403(b) and 457 retirement plans sponsored by the district. You may direct before-tax payroll deductions to the 403(b) or 457 plans offered by active HISD 403(b) or 457 plan providers.


    Who should I contact with Payroll questions?
    You may contact HR Employee Services via email at or by phone at 713-892-SERV (7378) 
    8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Weekdays (except holidays).
    How do I access my paycheck, and when will I receive the first one?
    The date an employee receives his/her first paycheck will depend on the date on which the employee was hired. Employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis on Wednesdays. Depending on the option selected during the pre-hire session, pay will either be directly deposited in the employee’s bank account or onto a paycard. 

    Employee paycheck information is available online by logging on to the Employee Portal and going to Employee Self Service.

    Pay Statement information is available every other Monday. Your check is deposited in your account on Wednesday. Please take note of your paycheck information on Monday so that any errors can be resolved before pay day on Wednesday.
    Who do I contact regarding compensation or contracts?
    You may contact your HR Assistant (HRA) directly. You may use the My HR Assistant search tool to identify your campus' Human Resources Assistant and his/her contact information.
    What is "Escrow" and how does it work?
    Escrow (also shown on your pay advice as "ENP" or "Earned, Not Paid") is the calculated dollar amount deducted from your pay each paycheck to cover your salary during the summer break. This is available for 10, 10.5, 11, and 11.5 month employees. The escrow deduction is calculated to ensure employees receive the same standard gross amount each paycheck throughout the year. 
    How do I switch between Direct Deposit and a Pay Card?
    New employees may select their pay preference at their Pre Hire Session. To change your pay preference after your Pre Hire Session, you may either do so at, or by calling HR Employee Services at 713-892-7378.


    Employee Leave
    How many days of paid leave do I have per year?

    Leave time and benefits eligibility is determined by the position status (Full-Time Equivalency or FTE), not by hours worked. All positions programmed with standard hours of 20 or more are classified as "benefits eligible." You may confirm your position status with your manager.

    Types of Leave

    State & Local Leave

    10 month employees (5 state days, 5 local days)
    11 month employees (5, state days, 6 local days)
    12 month employees (5 state days, 7 local days, 10 vacation days)

    Funeral Leave

    3 days per event

    When can I use my state/local leave?
    You are eligible to use the state/local leave immediately upon hire date. You can check your available leave balances by logging on to the Employee Portal and going to Employee Services. Then, click on "View Leave Balances". For more information about HISD’s leave policies, please see DEC (Local) within HISD’s Board Policy Online Manual.
    What is the difference between state and local days?
    State days are leave days (paid time off) allotted by the state to all eligible public education employees in Texas. Local days are leave days (paid time off) allotted by the Huoston Independent School District or the public local (Texas) district for which you work. 
    Does leave from my previous district transfer to HISD? Does leave transfer automatically?
    Only state leave from another Texas school district may transfer over; the accrued state leave does not automatically transfer to HISD. You must request a service record from your previous school district. If a transferable state leave balance is shown on the service record, when verified, the state leave balance will be added to your HISD leave bank.
    Does leave time carry over from year to year?
    Unused accrued Local leave carries over, with no cap on hours. All unused, accrued vacation time over 30 days is surrendered, and vacation leave in excess of 240 hours does not carry over.