Student Dress Code
Click HERE to download a visual version of our dress code.
The purpose of Pershing’s Dress Code is to ensure a safe learning environment and to promote a climate of effective discipline that doesn’t distract from the educational process. All students will be checked prior to entering the building to ensure that the dress code is followed. Students who are out of dress code will have to call their parents to bring their dress code clothing or they will be placed in In-School Suspension for the day. Students who need financial assistance with dress code shirts/sweatshirts/PE uniforms, may see our Wraparound Specialist.
- All shirts must be a suitably sized short sleeve or long sleeve crew neck or “polo” style shirt. Crew neck shirts must be solid colored with “Pershing” logo on them. Polo-style shirts must be solid color. No “tall,” oversized, or tank-top shirts are allowed.
- Pershing t-shirts may be purchased at the PTO School Store.
- Grade-level colors:
- 6th Graders ‐ Grey
- 7th Graders ‐ Red
- 8th Graders – Black
Students may wear approved Pershing spirit shirts or school club/team shirts (band, students council, NJHS, dance, theatre, step, etc.) on Fridays only. Spirit and school club/team shirts must be school colors (grey, red, black, or white) only and approved by the principal. No nicknames are allowed on spirit wear. NOTE: THESE ARE THE ONLY STYLES OF SHIRTS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE.
- Khakis (black or tan), jeans (blue or black). Jeans cannot have rips, tears, holes, even if they have tights on underneath.
- Pants must not fall below the waistline. No sagging pants are allowed.
- Skirts and shorts must be knee length.
- Only solid tan, solid white, or solid black leggings may be worn under skirts; length of skirt must be the same with or without leggings.
- Oversized, undersized, tight‐fitting, spandex, torn pants/shorts/skirts will not be permitted.
- Stripes, embroidery, patterns, and logos are not allowed.
- Nylon fleece, sweatpants, and pajama bottoms are not allowed.
- Closed-toe shoes must always be worn (i.e., tennis shoes, Vans).
- Shoes with rollers/wheels underneath are not permitted.
- For safety reasons, Crocs, platform shoes, spiked heels, combat boots, steel‐toed boots, or any backless shoes (including clogs, house shoes, flip‐flops, and sandals) are not allowed.
- All students are always required to have a Student Identification Card.
- Students are not allowed to deface identification cards. Information on the ID must be clearly visible.
- Replacement “ID” cards cost is $5.00. Lanyard replacement cost is $1.00.
- IDs are required to attend all Pershing events.
- Our temperature fluctuates in the building and only sweatshirts with the Pershing logo are allowed. Sweatshirts must be in their grades’ assigned color (Grey for 6th grade, Red for 7th grade and Black for 8th grade). Zipped jackets in grade-level color are also allowed. No nicknames are allowed on jackets. No hoodies allowed.
- Blankets are never allowed on campus.
ADDITIONAL DRESS AND GROOMING REGULATIONS
- Jewelry that distracts from the educational process is not allowed. This includes anything depicting gang membership, death, suicide, violence, the occult, drugs, sex, race, gender, obscenities, alcohol, or anything else deemed inappropriate.
- Wallet chains or dog collars are not allowed.
- Headwear (hats, caps, bandanas, scarves, etc.) or hair grooming devices (combs, picks, etc.) are not allowed. Headwear worn for religious purposes is always allowed.
- Sunglasses are not allowed.
- Tattoos or a marking from markers or pens on exposed skin are not allowed.
- Students may wear a Pershing spirit-shirt or college shirt each Friday.
- PE uniforms can be purchased from the school store. All students wear a grey shirt and black shorts.
THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION IS THE FINAL ARBITRATOR ON WHAT DETRACTS FROM THE EDUCATIONAL PROCESS