Gifted &Talented Program
Gifted & Talented
At Red, we are a Neighborhood Vanguard Gifted & Talented Program. The Gifted and Talented (GT) Plan at Red Elementary endeavors to meet the needs of our gifted learners. The Houston Independent School District utilizes the Depth and Complexity icons and dimensions based on the work of Sandra Kaplan. Our teachers are required to have the initial 30 hours of Foundational Training and an annual 6-hour update.
Teachers are primarily responsible for accelerating and/or extending the classroom learning for gifted students. The STEM/Specialists teams also support teachers. Classroom teachers can utilize a variety of resources in planning and executing GT lessons. There are other opportunities throughout the year for our gifted students. Red hosts a GT Expo annually to showcase the work of our GT students completed utilizing a variety of Project-Based Learning (PBL) activities.
- HISD uses Universal Testing in Kindergarten and Fifth, meaning that all students not previously identified as GT are tested in those grade levels. No application is required.
- For students in other grades, a parent/guardian must complete either a paper or online application.
Students in all grades can apply for Gifted and Talented services in their neighborhood (zoned) school through the Gifted and Talented application. The application process for G/T identification involves the following:
- Parents request G/T testing at their Neighborhood campus.
- Parents collect required records from their child’s current school (see application for specific details).
- School schedules G/T testing, if needed. Testing is conducted during the district established testing windows.
G/T Testing Window application deadline: December 6, 2019
Out of District Applicants
Houston Independent School District will not provide G/T Testing for out-of-district applicants.
All students will be assessed using both an abilities and an achievement test during the school day. Kindergarten students will be tested using paper and pencil. All other grade level students will take the test online.
- Kindergarten --> Abilities: October 30th and November 6th
--> Achievement: November 13th – 20th
- First – Fifth grades à Abilities and Achievement: November 4th – 22nd
For additional information, please see https://www.houstonisd.org/Domain/32983 or you may contact Mrs. Maxie at LMAXIE@HOUSTONISD.ORG