PTA Auction FAQ
The annual Helms PTA Silent Auction will be Friday, April 12th from 6:30 – 10:30 p.m. at the SPJST Lodge. We hope a lot of Helms families and friends will participate this year.
1. What do you DO at a Silent Auction?
It is mostly a big party for us to enjoy a great Mexican dinner, listen to live music, dance if you like and visit with new and old friends. There will be tables with around 200 donated items that everyone can look at. If you see something you would like, you write your bidder number on a sheet of paper next to the item, along with the price you want to pay. If someone else wants it, too, then they will write a higher price. This continues until the auction closes at 9:30 p.m. We also have 5-7 BIG items that will be auctioned off in a live auction.
2. What kinds of donations do you have?
We already have lots of great items like restaurant gift certificates, museum and theater tickets, spa and salon gift certificates, jewelry, weekend get away gift certificates, art work, and more. We will have themed baskets from each grade level, the reserved parking place and parties. There are items in every price range.
3. Why do you have an auction?
Two reasons: To build community and to raise a lot of money. We hope to raise $30,000 to use directly for our students and teachers. The PTA pays for music classes, creative writing classes, field trips, fine arts performances, student awards, library books, PE equipment, and teacher grants to purchase supplies for their classes.
4. What about my kids? Can they come?
The auction is an adult-only event. Mr. Preston and the Helms After-School Program are providing childcare at the school during the auction for a low fee. Children ages 3 (potty-trained) through age 12 are welcome.
5. How can I help?
1. Come to the auction and bring your friends and family! Tickets are $25/advance and $35/door. Tickets will go on sale March 25th.
2. Donate a silent auction item. Do you have sports season tickets, a vacation home, a small business or service? Parents donate electrical and painting services, birthday cake-baking, tutoring services and more. You can ask your friends and business owners for gift certificates or donated items.
3. Be a sponsor. You can sponsor a table and invite a group of friends. Or, you can pay an extra $25 to sponsor a teacher. All of our teachers receive a free ticket, and a teacher sponsorship helps cover this expense. You can pick a teacher to sponsor, and we will let them know that you are honoring them.
4. Volunteer. We need help collecting donations, selling tickets, decorating, setting up and cleaning up.