WBL (Work-Based Learning)
EXPERIENCE A CAREER FIELD
2022-2023 Career Preparation and Practicum Guidelines
The Texas Education Agency requires that all students enrolled in a Career Preparation or Practicum course must have a job within 15 days of the first day of school. For the 2022-2023 school year, students must have a job no later than Monday, September 13, 2022 and student training plans are due to the HISD Career Readiness department no later than Tuesday, September 20, 2022.
- Career Preparation is for paid and unpaid work-based learning experiences. Students must have a paying off-campus position for the entirety of the school year.
- Practicum courses can be for paid or unpaid work-based learning experiences which take place on the campus or off-site.
- The teacher must visit each training site for students in six times a year. The forms must be completed and signed by the last day of each six (6) weeks. Forms are due in the Career Readiness department within five (5) school days of the end of each six (6) weeks. Access the 6-Weeks Visitation Log
- Career Preparation and Practicum courses must span the entire school year; students may not be enrolled at mid-semester unless they transfer from a school where they were enrolled in the same course. It is a campus decision to withdraw a student at mid-semester because they need to be enrolled in other courses.
For an overview of the policies and procedures teachers need to be aware of with regard to work-based learning, view the Work Based Learning Checklist
Submitting Training Plans
Before preparing the training plans, please review the guidelines below.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL SET OF ALL REQUIRED PAPERWORK TO DISTRICT CTE DEPARTMENT.
Before submitting copies should be made and kept at the Campus for (1) Campus Files (2) Student/Parent/Guardian (3) Workplace
- Paid or Unpaid Training Plan (front and back):
- Child Labor Law (Paid Training Plans only) Access Child Labor Law form
- TransmittalSheet (complete with all student and course information) Access WBL Transmittal Form
If a student changes training stations, the Change of Training Station document must be submitted to the Career Readiness Department within 5 days of the date of change. Please complete the form and submit it attached to the new training plan. Access Change of Training Station form
- If a student is 18 and living at home, a parent/guardian signature is required.
- If you are teaching a Practicum, remember that you must do a training plan for each student prior to the beginning of their internship.
- The CTE specialist assigned to your campus should schedule a campus visit on or before the submission date for the training plans. You can either give your campus training plans to your CTE specialist, bring them to the Career Readiness department (HMW-2NE), or send them through the HISD mail service (if you choose this method keep in mind the amount of time that it will take to arrive at the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center).
**IMPORTANT UPDATE: (COVID-19)**
- Signed training plans may be submitted via email to the CTE Manager. You may have multiple signatures on different forms from parent, student, teacher and site supervisor.
- The (6) required site visits may be via virtual meeting with site supervisor. It cannot be via phone or email.