Drop-Off and Pick-Up Safety Procedures 2023-24
CELL PHONE ORDINANCE
Texas State Law states that drivers may not use a cell phone or electronic communication device in a school zone during active school zone times.
OTHER CITY OF WEST UNIVERSITY PLACE ORDINANCES
- There is no right turn on Auden from University during school zone times.
- Carpool drivers may not block the cars parked in front of the merchants in the 3600 block of University (across the street from Southside Place City Hall). There is a sign with this writing, “NO STOPPING, STANDING HERE TO CORNER” indicating where the carpool line may continue (at the bridge).
- Additionally, The City of West University Place is very strict about cell phone use while driving.
SCHOOL ZONE SPEED LIMIT
The speed limit on the streets surrounding the school is 20 mph during the posted hours.
The City of West University Place Police Department and occasionally the HISD Police Department regularly patrol and monitor these streets. They will issue a citation to you if you violate the speed limit, use a cell phone in an active school zone, text while driving, make an illegal turn, or violate any other traffic laws.
CARPOOL DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP ZONES
Drop-off and pick-up zones have been established for each class based on the location in the building. Your teacher will tell you which location is appropriate for your child.
- PreK: There is no carpool for PreK. Parents must walk to the PreK playground gate entrance on Goode St.
- Kinder - 1st Pick Up: Front of primary building (east end of campus) on University by front playground near Edloe (marked with a yellow sign).
- 2nd - 5th Pick Up: Front of main entrance (west end of campus) on University near marquee (marked with a yellow sign).
- Drop-off and pick-up on Goode Street is limited to mobility impaired students only. This area is off limits to all parking during the school day. Cars in this area will be asked to move. Repeat violators will be towed.
Please follow these procedures for the drop-off and pickup zones:
- Students must wait until the car has come to a complete stop before opening a car door to enter or leave the vehicle.
- Drivers must stay in their cars while in the carpool line.
- Do not park in the area leading up to our faculty parking lot driveway. This is a marked bus area. Violators will be asked to move.
- Parents who skip the line will be asked to drive around the block. Please be patient and drive safely.
- Follow all City of West University Place Traffic Laws. Do not:
- Speed in the school zone
- Park illegally
- Make illegal U-turns
- Block residential driveways
OTHER SAFETY ISSUES
- Cars on both sides of the street must make a complete stop and may not pass a school bus loading or unloading students (upper red lights will be flashing).
- U-turns are NOT permitted on any streets surrounding the school, including University Blvd.
- Jaywalking is extremely dangerous. Crossing guards are stationed at each corner to assist your child and you in crossing the street safely. Please use the crossing guards on the corners.
- Please do not block the driveways of our neighbors. Their driveways are not to be used for parent parking or for drop-off or pick-up.
- Students must not cross mid-block by themselves for arrival and dismissal.
- Please make prior arrangements with your child regarding regular pick-up and bad weather pick-up locations.
Parking is extremely limited at our school. Please follow these guidelines:
- The parking spaces in front of the school, in the west parking lot, and in one-half of the west parking spaces in front of the ball fields on University are reserved for faculty and staff (these areas are marked with signs). Please do not park in these areas. Teachers cannot get to work on time if they must circle the block looking for a parking place.
- Parents and visitors may park in the spaces on University at the end of the Little League fields. Signs are posted on the fence to identify this area.
- West University Methodist Church has graciously offered its parking lot and west side driveway to our parents who wish to park and walk to school during peak traffic times (7:15-8:00 a.m., and 2:30-3:15 p.m.).
- Consider walking to and from school with your child as often as possible to reduce traffic.
- Parking along Edloe St. is limited to two hours. The City of West University Police will write a parking citation to cars exceeding the two-hour limit.
- Parking is off limits on Goode Street.
Students and parents are encouraged to ride bicycles to school when weather permits. We have bike racks in the inner courtyard, behind the Multi-Purpose Room, and the 4th grade entrance.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Children are required to wear bicycle helmets per city ordinance.
- A bicycle is a vehicle. Bicyclists must obey traffic laws and rules, such as riding on the right side of the road, obeying traffic signs, etc. A child needs to be prepared for riding in the street by teaching him/her riding skills and the rules of the road.
- Students AND parents must walk their bikes once they are on school property and sidewalks surrounding the school during arrival and dismissal. Please walk the bike or scooter to the street corner.
- Bicycles should be walked through intersections during the busy traffic hours in the morning and afternoon. Regardless of the time, bicyclists must stop at stop signs and obey other traffic ordinances.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Children should wear a helmet at all times when operating the scooter.
- Students AND parents must walk their scooters once they are on school property and sidewalks surrounding the school during arrival and dismissal. Please walk your scooter to the street corner.
- Scooters should be walked through intersections during the busy traffic hours in the morning and afternoon.
Please study these plans carefully. Plan an after-school pick-up procedure with your child. Discuss this with your child and be consistent in its use. Please remember that we dismiss over 1,100 children at the same time. Please be patient, considerate, and careful. Your child’s safety and the safety of all our children are at stake.
Thank you, and your cooperation is appreciated.
Scott C. Disch, Principal