2022 WUES Kindergarten Round-Up
The GT Testing Window for incoming kindergartners for the 2022-2023 school year occurs on Wednesdays from April 6 - May 4, 2022.
Archived Information from the 2022 WUES Kindergarten Round-Up is below.
When: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022 NEW TIME: 12:00 PM
Where: NEW: Virtual Live Teams Event.
Who: All parents interested in kindergarten for the 2022-2023 school year.
What: Parents will receive information on:
- Kindergarten Curriculum
- Gifted & Talented (GT) Program
- GT Application Deadline: Mar 10, 2022
- GT Testing Window: Wednesdays April 6 - May 4, 2022
- Go here for more GT information
- PTO Membership & Volunteer Opportunities
- Preparing Your Student for Kindergarten
- Visit a kindergarten room
There will be a Q&A via chat with Principal Disch, WUES administrators, and kindergarten teachers.
Subscribe to the Mustang News: http://wues.org/subscribe
2022 Kinder Round-Up Q&A
What is the max age limit to start Kindergarten?
- Students must be at least 5 by September 1, 2022 with a maximum age of 6.
What protocols are in place for children with food allergies?
- All families complete a food allergy form and turn it in at the beginning of the school year. Your child's teacher and our nurse will have this information. Reach out to Nurse Paula if you have specific concerns/needs
What are the requirements for enrolling our child on PreK?
- PreK applications are handled through School Choice http://hisdchoice.com
How will we know when the open house will be held? I only found out about the round up from a neighbor whose kids attend West U elementary.
- Check out the slide about Communication and PTO in Principal Disch’s presentation. All details about the ways to find information are there. http://wues.org/roundup
- Subscribe to the WestU/PTO Mustang News here: http://wues.org/subscribe
Can the WPPSI test be used for GT placement?
- No, all students must test with and HISD school during the designated testing windows. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Hello! where can I find the Parent recommendation form?
- It's part of the entering kinder GT application: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/187519
If my child is in PreK already, do I need to re-enroll her for Kinder?
- If they are in WestU's PreK program, then no.
When might we find out if accepted into the GT program?
- Testing runs through May. This means scores won't be available until summer
If the child was tested for Magnet program in December, would that score be considered for the GT application?
- Yes. If your child was tested at any Houston ISD school these scores will count
My son's bday is May 2017 - I know he can go to kinder this fall, but if we decide to hold him back a year, will his birthday be ok to enroll in kindergarten fall of 2023?
If we're already signed up for Mustang News and are uncertain if the "2022 registration" box was checked at the time of sign up, will we still receive the registration info?
For GT testing, how long is the test and are there any breaks during test?
- The test is about 45 minutes, but no breaks.
How many students are in each class?
- Currently there are 22 students per class
Does each kindergarten class have a teacher & aid or teacher only?
- Teacher only
What is the reading/writing curriculum used?
- You can visit the curriculum website for more information: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/69564
IS HISD currently requiring masks on Kindergarten kids?
Is it expected that the child can read and/or write by kindergarten?
Are the GT applications electronic or are they submitted in person at the school?
- You can download the form or pick up a copy, but it must be turned in at the school with all required documentation
Does PE being an ancillary class mean that the kids won't have it daily?
- Students have PE once a week
Is the GT test just one day/one session?
- Yes, you will sign up for a one-time 45-minute session
Do students that qualify for GT sit in a different class or are they in the same class with non-GT students?
- We have separate GT classes
What time can we drop our kid off for school?
- The first bell to enter the building is at 7:30 AM and the tardy bell is 7:40 AM
Where specifically at the school do we drop off the GT application? Do we need to ask for a specific person? (I assume the doors are usually locked during the day)
- Come to the main office @ 3756 University Blvd. Use the doors by the marquee.
Is there an ESL program for kindergarten? Must children be pre-tested?
- Yes, we do have students who are ESL in kindergarten. We do not have an "ESL class”. Our ESL coordinator contacts families once all paperwork for enrollment has been submitted
How can I get this presentation? I understand it will be made available.
- It will be posted tonight on http://wues.org/roundup
The registration for KG is it lottery based or based on the number of classrooms at the school
- There is no lottery for kindergarten. Early enrollment is extremely helpful for the school so we can staff accordingly
Should the school registration form be completed online?
- Yes, we will post when online enrollment becomes available with the appropriate links.
Are all after care options off-campus? Are there any on-campus options for after care?
- iKids is the only on-campus option, but they are a private company and not run by WestU or HISD.
Where is the main office, please?
- 3756 University Blvd. The doors in front of the marquee
Do the kids need to wear a uniform
- We do not have a school uniform, but we do have a dress code that is posted on the school website
Our child will start Kindergarten this year and will be 6 years old this September. Is there anything that we need to do?
- You will need to register when online enrollment starts. We are not yet sure of the date.
Are GT testing times first come first serve? Also is the date the sign ups come out 3/11?
- We will send a link once all of the applications have been processed. You will reserve a spot via an online booking system. If we receive a large amount of applications on March 10th, then we may not be able to finish processing applications until we get back from Spring Break on March
On GT app it asks for HISD ID…..how do we obtain that id?
- If your student does not have one, you can skip it.