- Start first with a self-assessment.
- College Matching sites:
- Files with school information are located in the Counseling Center.
- Books are available for check-out in the library.
- Visit, visit, visit!
- Attend college fair
- Categorize the colleges you are considering into the following 3 categories:
Reach/Dream Schools: These are colleges that you would love to attend, but statistically there’s not a great likelihood you’ll be accepted.
Match Schools: These are colleges that are a good “match” for you. Your profile aligns with students, who are typically accepted, and you would like to attend these colleges.
Safety School: These are colleges that based on your individual profile where you will be accepted.
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY?
- Fall of senior year for admission and housing
- All seniors are required to apply to a minimum of three universities/colleges
- The deadline for submission of ALL college applications at DeBakey is Nov. 1, 2009
- On-line college applications:
APPLYING FOR ADMISSIONThe process of applying for admission varies from one college to another. It is the applicant’s responsibility to know the steps to follow for a particular school. University admission’s officers and your counselors can help you with this. Simply stated, applying means sending an application form, high school records, and entrance exam scores to the college. Application procedures, forms, and deadlines vary with each college.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE APPLICATION
- Complete your part of the applications
- Ask for teacher/counselor recommendations if required (allow three weeks)
- Write your essay/essays if required
- Enclose your application fee or pay on-line
- Fee waivers are available in the counselor’s office for students on free or reduced lunch
- Any documents not submitted online must be enclosed in a 9”x12” mailing envelope
- Address the envelope to the university and put your return address on the envelope
- Deliver unsealed envelope to your counselor
- You are responsible for postage- keep a book of stamps in your binder
- Students will request necessary transcripts from Mrs. Seaton, our register. Official transcripts must be sent directly from DeBakey to the institution requesting it.
- Do not request transcripts until you have completed the application process
- The counselor will mail your transcript and recommendations
COST OF COLLEGE
- The cost of college should not impede you from applying.
- The listed tuition/fees are not necessarily what you will be paying to attend a particular college.
- There are many resources to help you pay for college including:
- Merit scholarships
- Financial need scholarships
- Work Study
Download the following files as needed for your research: