English II students continue to increase and refine their reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, and representing communication skills. Students will plan, draft, and complete written compositions on a regular basis. Students will also edit their papers for clarity, engaging language, and the correct usage of the conventions and mechanics of written English to produce a paper free of errors.
An emphasis is placed on persuasive forms of writing such as logical arguments, expressions of opinions, and personal forms of writing. You will read many novels, one drama, several short stories, mythology, and numerous poems during the course of this year.
Weekly vocabulary lessons will expand your knowledge of words and the ability for you to use them in your daily lives. You will write at least one major-grade paper each grading period. You will learn time management, priority-setting, and self-discipline as you complete the reading and writing tasks that address the objectives of the course.
I have set class goals that will motivate students to reach for academic success this year and years to come.
1. 100% of students will PASS the STAAR exam
2. 100% of students will master each TEK/Objective at 80% or better.
3. 100% of students will complete the course with 80% or better.
Each student is responsible to bring the following to class:
Laptop, writing utensils, notebook, independent reading book, class assigned reading book, and any required assignments.
Your grade for this course will be determined as follows:
Attendance and Late Work
· Homework is due at the BEGINNING of the class period or at the designated time on the HUB. Anything turned in after that is considered late and will receive a zero. NO daily grade assignments will be accepted late. No exceptions.
· Make-up work is to be completed in a timely manner. A student has the same number of days to complete make up work as he/she missed from school. (Example: Absent 2 days: you have 2 days to turn in or make up work.)
· It is your responsibility to consult with me at the appropriate time (before or after school).I will not remind you to turn in your makeup work; you are responsible for turning it in.
· Make up tests/quizzes will be given after school, by appointment only.
Feel free to communicate with me via e-mail if you are absent or know you will be absent in order to receive your assignments.
Novels, Essays, and Areas of Study
Core Pieces Additional Ongoing Areas of Study
Poetry Selections (1st 6 Weeks) Journals
The House on Mango Street (3rd 6 Weeks) Grammar
Their Eyes Were Watching God(4th 6 Weeks) Group Activities The Help (5th 6 Weeks) Oral Presentations
Poetry Analysis Vocabulary
Other Reading Selections
Expository Text–Poem Anthology
Literary Text–Engaging Story