Welcome to the Milby Dual Credit Program Page
Bill Ellis | firstname.lastname@example.org | Milby High School
Welcome to the page of the Milby Dual Credit Program. The program provides students with the opportunity to earn free transferrable college credit while in high school.
What is Dual Credit?
At Milby High School, students take college classes and earn both college and high school course credit through the successful completion of one class. Most Milby dual credit classes are taught by Milby teachers who are also Houston Community College adjunct professors.
It looks like this. Students may take HCC English Composition I from Mr. Roberts in place of their English 3A class. They meet just like they would for the regular high school class. However, when the semester ends and they pass the class, the students are granted high school credit for the college course.
Here are the benefits:
- Tuition is free.
- Credit transfers to almost all colleges and universities in Texas as well as to schools outside of Texas.
- Students earn a quality point toward their GPAs.
- Dual credit courses meet the advanced academic course requirements for GT and Manget transfer programs.
- Students transition into college course expectations with the added support of their high school.
There are a few ways to qualify to take Dual Credit classes. If you have the patience, you can read through the district's Dual Credit Handbook and learn it all. Here it is. HISD Dual Credit Guide In Spanish.
For the sake of convenience, here is how most students qualify.
Students can qualify to take classes by meeting one of the two criteria:
1. Earn College Readiness scored on the TSIAccuplacer placement test.
2. If students fail to meet the TSIA readiness standard, students who meet the first standard below and one of the two following standards.
- Earn PSAT 8/9 College Readiness Score (Reading/Writing); and,
- Earn at least a B in English 1A and English 1B; or,
- Earn at least a 3.0 unweighted (before quality points added) cumulative GPA .
Juniors and Seniors
Most students not already taking Dual Credit classes will qualify by scoring a 4000 on the English II EOC along with a Satisfactory essay score on the same test. Juniors may also qualify with one of the following criteria.
1. Scoring 460 on the Reading/Writing section of the PSAT/NMSQT
2. Scoring a 480 on the Reading/Writing section of the SAT.
3. Earning a College Readiness score on the TSIAccuplacer placement test.
What are the steps?
So, you've read this far and you want to take the classes if you qualify. These are the steps.
1. If you have not done so already, let Mr. Ellis know that you want to take the classes by completing the survey at this link, Dual Credit Interest Survey.
2. Apply to Houston Community College. You will find instructions here, Apply to HCC.
3. Report your HCC ID number to Mr. Ellis by following this link, Report HCC ID Number.
4. Make sure that you qualify. Check with Dual Credit Coordinator Mr. Ellis. He is in Room 2112 (in the second floor Commons). You can also reach him through Teams or by email.
|First Name||Last Name||Title|
|Arthur||Ehmling||Instructor (Construction Technology)||Athtur.Ehmling@houstonisd.org|
|Bill||Ellis||Dual Credit Coordinatoremail@example.com|
|Jorge||Guerrero||Instructor (US History)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Andre||Rodriguez||Instructor (US Government and Mexican American Studies)||email@example.com|
- All Categories
- Select Month
- Select Year