FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
updated September 14, 2021
Does HSPVA offer summer programs? We do not.
Is HSPVA Friends offering Middle School Workshops this year? Yes. Please visit https://hspvafriends.org/special-events/workshops/ for more information.
- Vocal Music - October 23 at 9 am
- Visual Arts - October 23 at 10 am AND October 30 at 10 am (Two workshops are offered with different curriculum each day. Students may attend one or both.)
- Instrumental Music - October 30 at 9 am
- Dance - November 6 at 9 am
- Theatre - November 13 at 9 am
- Creative Writing - December 4 at 9 am
How many art areas can I apply for? You may choose to audition for one or two art areas. You do NOT need to apply or select two art areas if you are only interested in one. Students who are invited for callbacks for two art areas will rank the art areas in the event they qualify for both. You will only be accepted to one area.
Can I study two art areas? No. Each art area provides a comprehensive, sequential four year curriculum that does not allow for another art area focus.
Can I apply and audition for 10th, 11th, or 12th grade? The answer is yes, although at this time we do not anticipate inviting any students who are not incoming 9th graders. There is a chance we could accept a limited number of upperclassmen, but there are no guarantees. These decisions are based on a number of factors including available space in the school, grade level and art area. We hope that going through the audition process is an educational opportunity on its own. For the 2021-22 school year, we invited 3 incoming 10th graders, and zero juniors or seniors.
Do grades, matrix scores, letters of recommendation, or sibling priority increase my chances of qualifying? No. Kinder HSPVA qualifies applicants by audition only. Final screening and selection is based on the audition process. Sibling priority does not apply.
How should I rank Kinder HSPVA? You should rank Kinder HSPVA in order of preference. If Kinder HSPVA is your first choice, you should rank us #1. If you rank Kinder HSPVA lower than #1 and you are accepted into a higher-ranked program, you may be "dropped" or "released" even if you qualify for one of our programs.
My student needs accommodations. Who should I contact? If your student currently receives accommodations and has a formal IEP or 504 accommodations, please contact Jonathan Klein (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you feel that you need accommodations during the audition process.
What about academic classes? Do you offer AP courses? Students must complete the same required coursework as other HISD high schools. We offer on-level academic classes as well as Pre-AP and AP coursework. We currently offer 16 AP courses. Please note that art requirements only allow for 5 academic classes per year and scheduling conflicts may occur that prevent students from taking all of their requested courses.
Does Kinder HSPVA accept students from areas outside of HISD? In extenuating circumstances we may consider out-of-district students or students new to the district after March 11, 2022. HISD employees who pay towards TRS and live outside the HISD attendance district are considered to be in-district residents.
- All students interested in applying to Kinder HSPVA must apply at www.hisdchoice.com by November 11, 2021, and submit audition materials by December 3, 2021. We do not have separate auditions for out-of-district students.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in late January, 2022. If a student qualifies for Kinder HSPVA you will need to provide proof of residency within HISD two weeks from notification to guarantee a space for the 2022-23 school year.
- In extenuating circumstances we may consider out-of-district students after March 11, 2022. At that time out-of-district students must be approved by the superintendent of schools. If approved, tuition may be required and transportation is not provided. Tuition rates are established by HISD and is subject to change each year. For the 2019-20 school year tuition was $12,161.
- We have not invited any students who were not able to provide proof of residency within HISD (with the exception of children of HISD employees) since 2018.
Do you accept late applicants? After the audition process has ended, we will only consider applicants for specific needs that would benefit an art area.
Do you provide feedback on auditions? We do not provide individual feedback on auditions.
(Updated September 14, 2021)