Audition materials for the 2023-24 school year are now being accepted at https://app.getacceptd.com/kinderhspva. The deadline to submit materials is February 3, 2023.
- If you have not already created an account with Acceptd, you will need to do that first. Acceptd is a platform used by some of the best colleges, universities, conservatories, summer programs, and competitions. This platform is NOT connected with CHOOSEHISD.org and your username and passwords do not need to match. We suggest that you sign up as a parent, and when adding your student, indicate that the student does NOT have an email account. If you include your student’s email address, they will need to verify the account before you submit their application.
- After creating an account, you’ll need to browse programs and search for “HSPVA” or make sure you are logged in and click HERE
- Complete the application and upload materials as directed.
For technical questions, please visit Acceptd's Applicant Help Desk.
2023-2024 Classical Piano Audition Requirements
The Kinder HSPVA Classical Piano Department is designed as a classical repertoire and performance curriculum. Our goal is to enhance the technical skills, scholarly knowledge, and musical faculties of each of our students to produce the most nurturing and productive piano performance environment possible.
The piano Master Class curriculum is designed as a four-year course during which a different aspect of the piano and/or repertoire is studied, so that our studies are not redundant but cumulative. The HSPVA Piano Department is a close-knit community consisting of anywhere between 20 to 24 pianists. The relatively small size of our department allows for a high degree of individual attention and small class sizes (the average piano-related class has 12 students), which greatly facilitates meaningful learning and instruction.
All piano students at HSPVA are strongly encouraged to have a private instructor. Our program does not displace the role of the private instructor, it reinforces it. The private instructor/piano teacher will be responsible for his/her student’s repertoire and overall pianistic supervision. Our program seeks to elaborate on the work of the private teacher and to fill in whatever educational gaps the one-hour weekly piano lesson necessarily produces. The private instructor’s musical interpretation and methods will be respected at all times.
Many of our students go on to pursue their post-high school studies at the most prestigious music schools and conservatories in the country – schools like The Juilliard School, Oberlin Conservatory, Peabody Conservatory, the Eastman School of Music, the Moores and Shepherd Schools of Music, among others.
When are auditions and callbacks?
The first stage of auditions for the 2023-24 school year will be virtual.
Submissions will be accepted from January 10, 2023 – February 3, 2023. Please check our website at that time for uploading instructions. Each assignment and video will be uploaded individually. The submission deadline for materials is Friday, February 3, 2023 at 11:59 PM CT.
Callbacks are by invitation only. The format of callbacks is TBD. You will be notified if you have received a callback no later than February 10, 2023. Callback instructions will be provided to students at that time. Hold the date of Saturday, February 18, 2023, for a possible in person callback.
What do I need to prepare?
Part 1: 30-60 second introduction – Brief video introduction of who you are, how long you have been playing and why you are interested in attending Kinder HSPVA’s Instrumental department
Part 2: Make a video recording with clear audio of you performing the excerpts.
- Perform, by memory, approximately 60 seconds of each of two contrasting Classical pieces. (You will upload two videos – each should be about 60 seconds.)
- Make a video recording with clear audio of you performing the excerpts. An audio-only recording will not be accepted. Introduce yourself including your name and the piece you will be playing (name and composer).
- Ensure recording captures good quality image and reasonably good audio. Do the best you can. Professional quality is not necessary.
- Each piece will be submitted separately.
- All music must be memorized. The music rack on the piano should be visible, and it should contain no music.
- Hands and fingers must be visible.
- Do not edit within a piece.
- Do not use special effects, dissolves, fades or wipes.
- Do not submit pre-recorded live performances, such as recitals, concerts, or competitions.