INSTRUMENTAL AUDITION TIPS FROM TEACHERS
INSTRUMENTAL AUDITION TIPS FROM STUDENTS
Orchestra Audition Example
2024-2025 Orchestra Audition Requirements
The String Program at Kinder HSPVA is a performance-based program that is designed for advanced players who show an interest in and talent for high level music training and collaboration. The program offers solo performance, chamber music, and full orchestra experiences, coupled with a comprehensive curriculum that is like what a student might encounter in college music courses. These classes include music theory and history, class piano, ear training, and sight singing. Anywhere from 50 to 60% of the string program graduates in any given year will choose to study music after high school, pursuing degrees in performance, music education, musicology, music business, music therapy, and other related areas. Of those students who do not major in music, most will continue to perform in a university or community orchestra.
All string players are members of the Symphony Orchestra and the String Chamber Orchestra and can audition for membership in chamber ensembles in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. Seniors present a senior recital that is the culmination of four years of study. Whether or not students plan on studying music at the university level, our graduates are ready to continue playing in community and university orchestras, and to be informed and passionate supporters and consumers of all styles of music and art.
When are auditions and callbacks?
The first stage of auditions for the 2024-25 school year will be virtual.
Submissions will be accepted from January 18, 2024 – February 23, 2024. Please check our website at that time for uploading instructions. Each assignment and video will be uploaded individually. The submission deadline for materials is Friday, February 23, 2024 at 11:59 PM CT.
Callbacks are by invitation only. The format of callbacks is TBD. You will be notified if you have received a callback no later than February 29, 2024. Callback instructions will be provided to students at that time. Hold the date of Saturday, March 2, 2024, for a possible in person callback.
What do I need to prepare?
Part 1: 30-60 second introduction – Brief video introduction of who you are, how long you have been playing and why you are interested in attending Kinder HSPVA’s Instrumental department
VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO, BASS
SCALES- Play the following scale (3 octaves) from memory. Choose the bowing and tempo that are most comfortable. Good intonation and tone are most important.
- Violin- D major
- Viola- D major
- Cello- C major
- Bass- C major
SOLO WORKS- Play two (2) contrasting excerpts, taken from a concerto, sonata or other solo work that will display both technical skill and lyrical style. You may choose to play etudes instead of a solo. It is recommended that you consult your music teacher concerning choice of excerpts. Do not use piano accompaniment. Each excerpt will be submitted individually. Each piece should not exceed 2 minutes.
SCALES- One scale of your choice, three octaves ascending and descending, hands together, in 16th notes at a tempo of your choosing.
SOLO WORKS- Approximately 2 to 3 minutes of two prepared solos showing current ability, preferably from the standard repertoire. You may use an etude or orchestral excerpt only if you do not have a solo selection prepared.
HOW TO RECORD YOUR VIDEO
Using a phone or other device, the student will make a video recording of himself or herself performing the scale and solo works that were listed above. Please follow these guidelines:
- Your entire body from head to toe including hands and instrument should be visible on the video. Position the camera so that your music stand does not block the view. You may sit or stand for your video.
- Do not use piano accompaniment on your recording.
- Make sure that the final version you submit represents your best playing. Unlike a live audition, you can keep recording until you are satisfied.
- If you are unable to record a video or upload for any reason, please contact Mr. Klein, Magnet Coordinator, to discuss alternatives. (email@example.com)
- Impressions matter – Dress comfortably but nicely for the video. This is an important opportunity and dressing professionally is one simple way to show that you take it seriously. (Do not purchase anything new for this!)
- Prepare and practice – Preparing your music well in advance of the recording and audition can be one of the strongest predictors of success.
Audition materials for the 2024-25 school year will be accepted at https://app.getacceptd.com/kinderhspva beginning January 18, 2024. The deadline to submit materials is February 23, 2024.
- If you have not already created an account with Acceptd, you will need to do that first. Acceptd is a platform used by some of the best colleges, universities, conservatories, summer programs, and competitions. This platform is NOT connected with CHOOSEHISD.org and your username and passwords do not need to match. We suggest that you sign up as a parent, and when adding your student, indicate that the student does NOT have an email account. If you include your student’s email address, they will need to verify the account before you submit their application.
- After creating an account, you’ll need to browse programs and search for “HSPVA” or make sure you are logged in and click HERE
- Complete the application and upload materials as directed.
For technical questions, please visit Acceptd's Applicant Help Desk.