PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN SERVICES ‘’A’’
WESTBURY HIGH SCHOOL
COURSE SYLLABUS 2012-2013
Mrs. Karen Price, Teacher
This comprehensive laboratory course is designed to address a broad range of knowledge and skills related to personal development, money management, choosing nutritious meals and building communication skills. Students are encouraged to participate in extended learning experiences to promote strong families and preparation for adult roles and responsibly.
PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
Focuses on personal characteristics, behavior and sound decision making for successful career planning.
Focuses on personal management skills needed for productivity.
Focuses on nutritious dietary practices, making simple food preparation, grooming practices and consumer buying practices.
Focuses on housing, purchasing furnishings and equipment costs.
Each student will be required to:
· Have all classroom supplies by the2ndweekof school.
· Complete a major project. IT MUST BE COMPLETE PRIOR TO THE FINAL EXAM EACH SEMESTER.
Work missed for any reason is the responsibility of thestudent to makeup. All work,except project,must be made up within3class periods following an absence, forfullcredit to be given.
You will be informed of test dates at least one class period in advance of the test.Students who score less than 70% on the original test will be allowed to re-test.
A student retesting will receive85%of the retest grade earned.
A student must re-test within five(5)school days following test date.
A student must retestbeforeschool,during lunch, orafterschool.
CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENT
· Westbury’s 45/20 rule is strictly enforced. Students are not permitted to leave class during the first 45 minutes or the last 20 minutes unless determined an emergency. Be prepared to start class immediately upon entering the classroom.
· Respect the teacher and all classmates.
· Be in class on time and prepared to work.
· Follow all the Westbury rules listed in the Student Handbook. ( dress code, ID, cell phones)
· Safety procedures must be followed at all times.
· No food, drinks, electronic devices of any kind (MP3’S, I POD, I PAD, HEADPHONES) are allowed in class.
GRADING POLICY OF HISD
A = 100 - 90
B = 89 – 80 C = 79 – 75 D = 74 - 70 F = 69 - 0
Class work- 40% Weekly quizzes- 10% Tests/Projects- 40% Bell ringers-10%
· 3 prong folder (any color, must be in good condition, NO DRAWINGS OR DOODLES)
· Blue or black colored ink pens. Assignments submitted in pencil will not be graded.
· 5 dividers
· Any color highlighter
· Notebook paper
The class folder will be used and kept in the classroom. All course assignments, notes, worksheets and tests will remain in theclassroom at all times.It will contain the following items:
· Course Syllabus
· Class Assignments
· Bell Ringers
If you are absent, it isYOUR RESPONSIBILITYto ask me about your missing work. You have3 daysto make up your work. Any work turned inafter 3 dayswill result a reduction of10 pointsper passing day. ANY CHEATING OF ANY KIND WILL RESULT IN A ZERO GRADE FOR THAT ASSIGNMENT. (A student caught cheating on any tests will receive 80% of grade earned on retake exam.).
I can be contacted firstname.lastname@example.org 713 723-6015 ext. 460.
My signature acknowledges that I have received and read the above course syllabus.
We will abide by the rules of the class, school and district policies.
Printed Student Name Student Signature