Accident Plan FAQs
You can enroll during annual benefits enrollment through the Benefits Service Center. If you have a family status change, please call the HISD Benefits Service Center at 877-780-HISD (4473), open weekdays (except holidays), 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 7 a.m to 4 p.m CST. More information about family status changes is available on the HISD Make a Change page.
This plan doesn’t pay benefits for accidents resulting from:
- Participating in war or any act of war, declared or not, or participating in the armed forces of any country or international authority. The plan returns the prorated premium for any period not covered when you are in such service.
- Operating, learning to operate, serving as a crew member on, or jumping or falling from any aircraft, including non-motor-driven ones
- Participating or attempting to participate in an illegal activity or working at an illegal job
- Committing or attempting to commit suicide while sane or insane
- Intentionally injuring or attempting to injure yourself
- Having any disease, bodily or mental illness or degenerative process. The plan also does not pay benefits for any related medical or surgical treatment or for diagnostic procedures for such illness.
- Traveling more than 40 miles outside the territorial limits of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, and Jamaica, except under the Accidental Common Carrier Death Benefit
- Riding in or driving any motor-driven vehicle in a race, stunt show or speed test
- Participating in any professional or semi-professional organized sport
- Being legally intoxicated or under the influence of any narcotic unless taken under the direction of a physician
Yes, accident benefits are in addition to benefits you receive from any medical plan and do not affect your medical benefits. This plan does not decrease benefit payments by coordinating with other plans to pay up to a certain maximum.