HISD offers several medical plan options, each with its own special rules, provider networks and rates.
They all include prescription drug coverage through ExpressScripts. The Select Plan offers comprehensive health coverage at premiums as low as $2.50 per pay period (based on 24 paychecks per year) with access to free and discounted providers.
How the Select Plan works
- You must be eligible for benefits and earn $25,000 or less per year (not including overtime) to qualify for this plan.
- You are covered to see any primary care physician or specialist in Cigna’s LocalPlus network without a referral.
- You will have an annual deductible, copays and coinsurance, along with an out-of-pocket maximum for these visits.
- You have also have access to free care at HISD's Employee Health & Wellness Centers and free care at 14 Next Level Urgent Care Centers across the Houston area. See www.nextlevelurgentcare.com for locations.
- You have prescription drug benefits through the Express Scripts High Performance Formulary, which includes free generic medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes.
- You are not covered for out-of-network care, except in the case of an emergency.
You will pay a $300 copay if you visit the ER for a non-emergency, so trips to the ER should only be for life-threatening concerns. For non-life-threatening issues, you should visit an urgent care center, walk-in retail clinic, or HISD Employee Health & Wellness Center.
You can enroll in the Select Plan by visiting our website or by calling the HISD Benefits Center at 877-780-HISD (4473).
The Affordable Care Act
The Select Plan is an Affordable Care Act qualifying plan. For tax purposes, the IRS require us–and you–to verify and report your medical plan eligibility, coverage selection, and any covered dependents’ tax ID numbers (which will be the same as their Social Security numbers). You will be mailed important paperwork related to your coverage that you will need when you file your taxes.
You are limited to physicians within the Cigna LocalPlus network. Go to myCigna.com to see what physicians are in your local network.
You may use any hospital in the Cigna LocalPlus network. Go to myCigna.com online or use the mobile app to see what facilities are in your network.
Free and discounted medical care
You have access to free medical care through the HISD Employee Health & Wellness Centers and at any Next Level Urgent Care Clinic.