student’s interests and needs and look for alignment with specific Magnet
- Use the information and links
- Consider how you will rank
your choices. You will have a limit of 5 choices. (It
is recommended that parents weigh their options carefully and consider
the following: if you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and a student has not
been identified as G/T prior to the Phase I deadline and subsequently
does not qualify as G/T, the student will not be considered for any of
the Vanguard programs you applied to.)
- Visit selected programs on
School Choice Thursdays
Visit www.HISDChoice.com to apply
- If you have used the system before, please use your
- Paper applications are
available online, at any Magnet program, or from the Office of School
Choice. (Online applications provide more options for tracking and
- Make sure to sign and submit your
- Qualified applications submitted
Between Sep. 22 and Dec. 8, 2017, will be entered into any
lotteries. Deadline to be entered in the lottery is December 8,
- For elementary programs, only
Vanguard applications may require documentation.
- Please be on the lookout for
emails or phone calls related to your application.
- Check your SPAM folder to ensure you are not missing any information. If at all possible, do not use a Hotmail account, as
the service usually blocks emails from HISD.
- On by midnight of
March 22, 2018 , notification of application status will be
sent to all parents via USPS mail and will be viewable online as well.
- If your student has been
offered a seat in a program, you have two weeks to provide proof of
residence and sign an entrance agreement.
- If your student was not
offered a seat on March 22, 2018, but has been placed on a wait list,
stay alert for changes in application status throughout the summer. You
may be able to submit additional applications to programs with more room.