Template Shadow

Burbank Middle School

Magnet

School History

 
 School
Leadership
Mr. Knittle
David S. Knittle 
Burbank MS Principal
 
SLinkous
Stephen R. Linkous
School Support
Officer 

J Dimmitt

Julia Dimmitt 
Area Superintendent North
Dr. Carranza
Richard Carranza
Superintendent of
Schools 
Eastman
Anna Eastman  
School Board Member
District I
  
BurbankMS Burbank Middle School was established originally in 1927 as a Senior High School with an educational emphasis on agriculture. The school was named for the famous horticulturalist, Luther Burbank (1849–1926), who developed more than 800 strains and varieties of plants during his lifetime. Among his most well-known creations are the Burbank-Russett potato, which helped alleviate the food shortage during the Irish Potato Famine, and such things as the spineless cactus, white blackberries, and the Shasta daisy.

Burbank Middle School was rebuilt in 1949 and changed its denomination to a Junior High School, serving grades 7, 8, and 9. The area where the school is located was occupied mostly by farms at the time, so the school retained its agricultural and horticultural focus. The school offered courses such as wood and metal shop, home economics, animal husbandry, and horticulture.

1959 Dismissal  Dismissal 2

As years passed, the city of Houston expanded and Burbank's rural neighborhood transformed into an urban area as it was absorbed by the huge metropolis. Gone were the farms and instead there were subdivisions, factories and apartment complexes. By 1974, twenty five years after it opened, Burbank Junior High School was an inner city school.
 
In 1975, Houston Independent School District began an initiative to achieve voluntary integration of schools by offering special programs to appeal to the individual interests of students and carry students from one area of the city to another by choice instead of by force. These programs were to be called "Magnet Programs" and had different designs and areas of focus. Among these areas was the Gifted and Talented Program, also called the Vanguard Program. In 1979 the Vanguard Program which was originally at Terrell Junior High School was officially moved to Burbank Junior High School. This continues to be the Magnet Program at Burbank, currently serving more than 450 students.

Burbank had one more change in denomination. In the mid 1980's it changed from a junior high school to a middle school, serving grades 6, 7, and 8, which it still continues to do today.
 
Burbank's inner city minority population belies its academic excellence. Burbank Middle School students have earned recognition status for the past thirteen years and earned seven of seven distinctions in the 2017 state STAAR test! 
 
Mascot: The Mighty Eagle
Colors: Gold, Green, and Black 
Template Shadow
CLOSE