- Long-term care covers services in your home, your community, assisted living facilities (including Alzheimer’s facilities) and nursing homes.
- It protects you and your family from the potentially astronomical costs when illness, injury, Alzheimer’s or aging keep you from being able to perform simple, everyday tasks of caring for yourself.
- Underwritten by Genworth Financial, the plan is offered through the Teachers Retirement System of Texas.
To qualify, you must need help because of one of the following reasons:
- You cannot perform at least two of six activities of daily living—bathing, eating, dressing, toileting, continence and transferring—and expect that you’ll need help for at least 90 days.
- You have a severe cognitive impairment—generally, a significant deterioration in or loss of your intellectual capacity, e.g., Alzheimer’s.
To maintain your benefit, from time to time, your doctor, a nurse, licensed social worker or a covered care coordinator must certify that you need help as described above.
Benefits are paid to you only for covered care and services you receive consistent with a plan of care that has been prescribed by a covered care coordinator, nurse, doctor or licensed social worker.
For details about your long-term care plan benefits and exclusions or filing a claim, visit the TRS website or call Genworth customer service at 866-659-1970.