Choral Music Audition Information
MPVA Choir is looking for students that love to learn and love music! If singing is your passion, then you’ve found the best family to join! At this time, auditions will be held virtually.
The audition consists of 2 parts.
- The “Interview”, which will take place via Microsoft Teams, will consist solely of an interview of the prospective MPVA Choir student. Interviews will be held from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm on the audition date selected in advance with Mr. Harris. The link is as follows: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3agoCVQIhRcyX1-AHd-u16EIdCw2KDt2-rSD3NDEUBZ9I1%40thread.tacv2/1641401838285?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22f5eb9966-9336-4b33-8895-9982425b13ed%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22b72f323d-2bb3-4760-8f7f-8d1f3f308555%22%7d
2. Prospective students will need to record the musical portion of their audition in video format and submit it via this Google Form: https://forms.gle/qnqaycAprepbbDHo6
*If there is an issue with uploading your video, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Audition Video Guidelines:
Students should record themselves following along with the provided YouTube video at https://youtu.be/6x14O8dcN60. This video should be audible in the recorded audition, to determine the student’s musical skillset. Video submissions are due by the student’s assigned audition time. Remember the following:
- Students must be visible in their recording.
- Students must be standing and dressed appropriately for their recording.
- Find a quiet area, free of distractions, for the recording process.
The video will have 3 portions, guided by the provided YouTube recording.
- A simple warm-up of ascending and descending patterns on “Ah” and “Ooh” vowels.
- The student will perform a 45 second excerpt of one of the following pieces in any key they prefer: My Country Tis of Thee, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, America the Beautiful, or Amazing Grace.
- Multiple sets of note patterns will be played. The student will sing them back on a “doo” in order to test pitch matching. The patterns will start simple and get progressively more challenging.
Pitch Matching: 200
Mr. Donovan Harris at Donovan.Harris@houstonisd.org