" I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress". Frederick Douglas
"Man's greatness consists in his ability to do and the proper application of his powers to things needed to be done". Frederick Douglas
"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations." ~Abraham Lincoln 1865~
Unit Overview: This Unit looks at the concepts of civil war and reconstruction. Students will examine the causes and the main events of the Civil War which includes the contributions of Texas and Texans to these historic events. The unit also includes the understanding of the effects of the Civil War and the impact of Reconstruction. Social study skills emphasis on primary source analysis and point of view perspectives are two main objectives that the students will learn and practice for this unit.
- analyze the political, economical and social effects of Reconstruction
- explain and present a "point of view" during Reconstruction period.
- defend the Freedman's Bureau as either a success or failure
- plan and write a narrative about a historical figure
- Formulate historical questions and develop expository writing skills
- analyze historical documents and sources
- Click links: Texas Reconstruction Resource Page
- Primary source of class assignments is the daily classroom instructions. This website is considered a secondary source of information.
Reconstruction: Chap: 18-questioning
Wednesday: New Unit:Texas ReconstructionPage 2-
Page 3-Freedman's BureauClasswork assignment #1
Page 4Jim Crow LawsClasswork assignment #2
Thanksgiving holidayUnit Quiz: Dec. 1-2Unit Test: Dec. 6-7Spiral Due: Dec. 6-7
Nov. 28Page 5-Amendments 13-14-15Classwork assignment #3
Page 5 continuePage 6-Wade Davis billClasswork assignment #4Unit QuizPage 7-Primary SourcesPage 8-Questioning skillsTest review quiz
Update spiralStudy groups
Unit Test and spiral dueRetest: Dec. 15-16New Unit: Pre-Civil Warform and plan discussion groups