Helpful articles and healthy savory recipes.
HISD Food and Agriculture Literacy
Buffalo Chickpea Dip with Sugar Snap Peas
SERVINGS: 8 (1/4 cup)
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese softened
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can of chickpeas drained
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea juice)
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce
- 4 cups sugar snap peas
- Prep and measure all ingredients. Reserve the drained aquafaba (chickpea juice).
- Combine the chickpeas, aquafaba, and Buffalo sauce in a blender/food processor until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese to the blender/food processor.
- Blend together the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve dip with sugar snap peas and enjoy!
This dip is great with crunchy vegetables like carrots, jicama, celery, etc.
Red Bean Soup
Try out this yummy soup. Even the kids will love it. Red beans are packed with protein and are high in fiber, folate, potassium, magnesium, and B vitamins, which are good for a heart-healthy diet.
- 2 cups red beans
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk › ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- Zest of a tangerine
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 1 pinch of toasted sesame seeds
- 3 sprigs mint
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Mung beans (optional)
Directions: In an 8-quart pot over medium heat, add sesame oil then garlic and ginger. Quickly sauté. Then add the broth, coconut milk, zest, coconut sugar, salt, and beans. Simmer for 30 minutes, remove the zest, and puree. Serve hot and garnish with sesame oil, chili flakes, toasted sesame seeds, mung beans (optional), and mint.
Eating green is good for you – and good for the planet, too. But you don’t have to go all vegetarian or vegan to get the benefits of a plant-based diet. Making small changes to cut back on meat and get more greens onto your plate can help your health and well-being.
There's nothing like a bowl of homemade soup to soothe the body and soul. And who doesn't love being able to whip up a meal using one pot? Taste of Home delivers an amazing collection of homemade soup and stew recipes that have everything you need to create a flavorful, warm, and comforting meal that's perfect at any time of year!